PAIForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello Ireland

+10
katie
MarieB
Wobbly 1
Patsy
porterboy
ClemMcGann
Ann
ems
lucy
jb49
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 40]

1Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Hello Ireland 23/8/2010, 10:26 pm

jb49

jb49

First topic message reminder :

Trying again. My first post went spinning off the tracks like a runaway train. Bad Karma? hope not, but maybe two first posts will show up.

I'm John from Ontario. I am going to try a daily greeting thread with this board and see how it goes. Very low key, but sincere, no groundbreaking PD news, just heartfelt encouragement.

My Wife and I drove to Ottawa on the weekend. (250 kms there) Strange city, driving, and restaraunts bring out tremors. We had a great time: visited, had dinners, walked, did museums with my son and wife who live there. Saturday nite we went to an "Irish Pub" and I had a yummy shepherds pie and a bottle of Killkenny. Your beer makes our beer taste like soda pop.

I hope everybody has a good and safe day. Be strong, John

251Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 17/2/2012, 4:10 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Hello there,

Cathy I am sorry to hear that your knee is giving you grief and hope the surgery helps, do you know when?
So many teenagers seem to be moving afar these days of course you'll miss your grandson,but keep in touch and there is skype if your familiar with it. I'm dreading the day my son tells me same though none of us know what's ahead we just have to go along with the flow..sorry I'm not much help.

Take care Cathy
Ems

252Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty lazy 16/2/2012, 3:41 pm

cathy

cathy

hi everybody haven't been alive I mean active for a while now awaiting knee surgery sleepless nights my adored grandson is leaving for australia next week
He is only nineteen .please anybody any tips on letting go . Sad Sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad [b]

cathy 4.30am

253Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 14/2/2012, 3:30 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Hello to everybody..

Patsy, Maggie may..hope you both are ok and of course all our friends here.

Well tomorrow is Valentines day lol, Lucy,Marie, Katie any plans?brekkie in bed, champagne on ice..think I'm watching too much tv lol or I'm just a big softie. I love you

254Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 10/2/2012, 6:59 am

MarieB

So much for your penitential thoughts Ems,,,,(fry lite ! uurgh!, no thank you)

SO............MAKE PANCAKES IN USUAL WAY USING UP ALL THAT CHOCOLATE, MAPLE SYRUP!
JAM, DOUBLE CREAM AND ANY OTHER WICKED INGREDIENTS YOU CAN FIND!!!!

then you'll be forgiven (shrived) CAN'T BE BAD, EH?

Marie x

Last edited by MarieB on 10/2/2012, 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Guess?)

255Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 10/2/2012, 6:36 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Great story Marie and thanks to Katie for reminding me of Weightwatchers..never thought of frylite..

256Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 8/2/2012, 5:05 am

katie

Mindful of Maries story about shrove tuesday being about Penitance, soul clensing ect., here is my contribution to the Pancake saga Smile

Weightwatchers pancakes; 3 eggs seperated, 2tsps of sweetner,

Whisk egg whites, add sweetner, fold in egg yolks and fry using frylite. fill pancakes with fruit.

OR......MAKE PANCAKES IN USUAL WAY, FILL WITH CHOCOLATE, MAPLE SYRUP JAM,ect and enjoy!!

257Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 8/2/2012, 3:58 am

MarieB

Apologies to all you weight watchers if I'm teaching my grandma to suck eggs but before you all start stuffing yourselves a la jb's recipe (maple syrup and all) , did you know........

Shrove Tuesday is the day before Lent starts: the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. It's a day of penitence, to clean the soul, and a day of celebration as the last chance to feast before Lent begins.

Shrove Tuesday is sometimes called Pancake Day after the fried batter recipe traditionally eaten on this day.

But there's more to Shrove Tuesday than pigging out on pancakes or taking part in a public pancake race. The pancakes themselves are part of an ancient custom with deeply religious roots.

Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the ritual of shriving that Christians used to undergo in the past. In shriving, a person confesses their sins  and is forgiven by a priest

Shrove Tuesday is a day of celebration as well as penitence, because it's the last day before Lent.

Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to cuse up the foods that aren't allowed in Lent

During Lent there are many foods that some Christians - historically and today - would not eat: foods such as meat and fish, fats, eggs, and milky foods.

So that no food was wasted, families would have a feast on the shriving Tuesday, and eat up all the foods that wouldn't last the forty days of Lent without going off.

The need to eat up the fats gave rise to the French name Mardi Gras ('fat Tuesday'). Pancakes became associated with Shrove Tuesday as they were a dish that could use up all the eggs, fats and milk in the house with just the addition of flour.

Pancake races are thought to have begun in 1445. A woman had lost track of the time on Shrove Tuesday, and was busy cooking pancakes in her kitchen.

Suddenly she heard the church bell ringing to call the faithful to church for confession. The woman raced out of her house and ran all the way to church; still holding her frying pan and wearing her apron.

Enjoy your pancakes everyone, but not sure about the racing bit........any takers??

Marie x

258Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 7/2/2012, 3:40 pm

jb49

jb49

Ha Ems, that was funny, but not as funny as you Irish Girls.

Ha, make me laugh some more.

Jb
Soon be maple syrup time again! Very Happy

259Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 7/2/2012, 3:22 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

A sample of Mrs Brown..

https://youtu.be/hqzjWzxvFf8

260Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 7/2/2012, 2:56 am

lucy

lucy

Mrs Brown I am not hungry I am not hungry I am not hungry I wasn't hungry yesterday I am not hungry today and I wont be fe...... hungry tomorrow. JB this is an irish comedy show it is hilarious. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

261Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 7/2/2012, 2:17 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Ok Lucy,oops or is it skinny..now why would i be jealous Evil or Very Mad
Although i could always change from bread to ryvitas ( cardboard) or let me think...follow Jb's recipe then I'd look like BIG MAMA..

Hey Patsy, hope all is ok with you..everybody else take care
Ems Smile

262Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 6/2/2012, 11:58 pm

lucy

lucy

Weight watchers who needs them whats a few pounds between friends.I dont want to brag or make anybody jelous but I can still fit into the earings that I wore in primary school. I hope everyone is keeping well and ready for whatever this week brings.

263Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 6/2/2012, 7:34 pm

MarieB

In your dreams Katie.................

264Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 6/2/2012, 11:32 am

katie

JB, you are obviously working for weightwatchers

265Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 6/2/2012, 11:26 am

jb49

jb49

Pancakes are best with fried sausage, or bacon, buttered and pour on the maple syrup. Nothing wrong with a scoop of fresh berries and a bit of whipped cream to top it all. To prevent sweetness overload, have a mug of hot black coffee ready.

Good days to everyone, john b

266Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 4/2/2012, 6:26 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Friday again folks

hope you are all well and keeping warm, it is so cold here now hope the snow stays away.

Anyway pancake Tuesday is coming up not sure of date..it's one of Seán's favourite days..he likes savoury of course, while i like the sweet ones or with lemon..ok I'll stop rambling...
enjoy the weekend everybody

Ems Smile

267Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 1/2/2012, 2:54 pm

jb49

jb49

I hate losing my wallet, glad you found your purse.

Once when Heidi had just served coffee to her parents, a friend I work with came in. We invited him to sit too and Heidi went to get him a coffee. She couldn't find the coffee pot with the rest of the hot coffee. Till she looked in the fridge! my friend always remembered that with a chuckle.

Have good days Em, everyone else..

jb

268Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 30/1/2012, 2:54 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Hello to all..

What a weekend not a dull moment here, today i had to retrace my steps between an hour ago and yesterday as i went to kilkenny yesterday morning had a lovely cuppa and chat with Marie and her DH, came home went for a nap, tidied up etc..

This morning couldn't find my purse, so i remembered i bought a newspaper in kk rang the shop and yes they have it...poor Seán searched everywhere including the fridge lol ..all's well that ends well.

Ems Smile

269Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 27/1/2012, 9:40 pm

jb49

jb49

Jim Jams, is that what you call Pyjamas. Why I am a man of leisure if you must know. It was likely about noon, me missus had the fire agoing and I crawled out of bed to the blazing stove to await the hot chocolate that Heidi is about to give me.
Yes, it is enchanted, this life I lead.

Ha, more apt to get the mug up alongside my ear.

Life is actually very good here on the farm with Dear Wife. I hope that I can stay here for a good long time yet. But the extra work, the gardens, firewood and looking after an old house will eventually send this Parky to a smaller place in town. But not yet. Anybody ever going to come visit me? We could put up a group of you. Hey, come in June, we all will get hoes and plant potatoes and stay around a month and we will pick strawberries. hmmm........any takers?

Have great days everybody. Push yourself. JB

And Paul:

You should ask your doctor to try you on Levadopa for a week. If the medicine helps, you have PD. That is the test I had. Good luck and you will feel better when you get on the right drugs. Promise. jb

270Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/1/2012, 10:41 pm

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Good morning all,

Hi Paul hope things work out,keep us posted and take care..

Jb..as little red riding hood said, what big feet you've got Smile Smile Smile

271Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/1/2012, 7:54 am

MarieB

JB, I agree with Lucy but what I want to know is why are you still in your Jim jams ??????

Marie

272Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/1/2012, 7:48 am

MarieB

Hi Paul,

Just read your post and I'm not surprised your tremor has gone into overdrive. I'm amazed that your consultant used words like " something more sinister going on!" Please tell me that's your interpretation because you are feeling stunned and confused. Did you have someone with you when he made those comments? If you saw him a few weeks ago, why haven't you had the DaTscan and for that matter the MRI.by now? One senses a lack of urgency which seems to fly in the face of any potential doom and gloom so there is little point in worrying yourself sick about this or that scenario
In the meantime, it must be very hard because you sound as if you know you need something to help you. I can remember that point very clearly as I had initially refused meds from my consultant (being the big, brave girl that Im not) but within 6 months I was pleading with my GP to start me on meds because I felt really lousy with pain, stiffness and slowness and Ican remember almost begging him as he was really conservative about meds and hadn't even wanted to refer me to a neurologist in the first place. He did relent when he saw the tears and since then the meds have settled down and are working well. That was 18 months ago and I'm feeling I may need to up the dosage a little next time I see the consultant, probably end of Feb.
Have you any idea how long before things start to move? Can you ring and make another appointment if you feel you need to get things moving? All the uncertainty can't be doing you any good and it certainly won't help your family. WHo knows, it could be something or nothing. Whichever it is Paul,I'm sure you will deal with it in your own way and in your own time.
If there are questions you can't get anyone to answer, then come back to us. We arnt medics and we can't diagnose each other but there is a wealth of experience between us and the PAI in general and we can give each other the kind of support that only PWP can give because we are the only ones who really know how it feels.
Must get off my soap box. Hope you don't mind me commenting in the way I have but I get the feeling youre in a lonely place at the moment and just want you to know we care. Fingers crossed it will be sorted soon and you can get on with your life.

Marie

273Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/1/2012, 3:17 am

Paulmc

Paulmc

Hi jp that looks cosy there, Hi everyone I hope you are all well, I have'nt been about for a while. Seen my Neuro afew weeks back, I was hoping that he would start me on meds as I have been having a bad time of it. My consultation with my nero lasted 1 hour of him getting me to do all the usual neurologigal tests, finger and hand movements, watching me walking up the corridor etc etc etc. This is the point that I now get confused!, I got my diagnosis of PD on the 4th of November 2011, after many months of tests and a DaTscan of which confirmed PD. He now wants me to hold off on meds as he would like me to have a second DaTscan as well as an MRI. As in his words he seems to think that theres something more sinester going on Shocked . He also said that if the DaTscan comes back simular to the first one he will start me on meds, if not he will wait to see what the MRI throws up pale . This has left me both stunned and confused not to mention that my tremor has now gone into overdrive. I hope this all makes sense and I'll keep you posted on the saga. Thanks for listening, take care keep well. Paul

274Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/1/2012, 2:57 am

lucy

lucy

I sure would love to warm my pinkies in front of that JB Smile Smile Smile

275Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/1/2012, 12:14 am

jb49

jb49

glad that your appointment went well Em, sorry about the slurring. Hope the new drug helps you.

Good days to all. Be safe and warm.Hello Ireland - Page 11 P1050724

those are my slippered feet to the woodstove. Room for more if anyone wants to visit someday!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum