PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello Ireland

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 40 of 40]

1 Hello Ireland on 23/8/2010, 10:26 pm

jb49

First topic message reminder :

Trying again. My first post went spinning off the tracks like a runaway train. Bad Karma? hope not, but maybe two first posts will show up.

I'm John from Ontario. I am going to try a daily greeting thread with this board and see how it goes. Very low key, but sincere, no groundbreaking PD news, just heartfelt encouragement.

My Wife and I drove to Ottawa on the weekend. (250 kms there) Strange city, driving, and restaraunts bring out tremors. We had a great time: visited, had dinners, walked, did museums with my son and wife who live there. Saturday nite we went to an "Irish Pub" and I had a yummy shepherds pie and a bottle of Killkenny. Your beer makes our beer taste like soda pop.

I hope everybody has a good and safe day. Be strong, John

976 Re: Hello Ireland on 30/8/2010, 8:07 am

lucy

Hello John I must say I did very little today. Come to think of it I did very little this past week. I'm saving it you see for when the children go back to school the house wont know what hit it then. I have a list that would reach from here to Canada nicely written out and all himself has to do is get started I will supervise. God early nights and early mornings from this week on. Roll on mid term break thats what I say.

977 Hello Ireland on 30/8/2010, 5:50 am

Ann

Admin
Admin
John - Mostly they slow down on a Sunday, with young families doing things together. For some the day is like ay other; for most Mass in the morning followed by dinner, Sunday dinner, then a quiet chair to watch a football or hurling match. A bit like the US, different depending on where you are and your age. I have a friend in Chicago who was born on a farm, and still she will "put up" quarts of peaches and applesauce, but buys the peaches etc at a market. Another American friend now living here, her mother and Garrison Keilor's mother were firm friends and so she used to get the latest on the state of Lake Wobegan! The same friend has a house full of guests each year for THanksgiving, and one year her butcher failed to deliver the turkey, much to her embarrassment and irritation. He said the last Thursday in November, but Thanksgiving is NOT on the last Thursday but rather the fourth Thursday, and some years there are five.

In the US if there is one day in the year you go home it is Thanksgiving, but here it is Christmas Day.

It's good to talk! Razz

978 Re: Hello Ireland on 29/8/2010, 10:44 pm

jb49

Good Morning Ireland, Ann,Lucy and Ems, Hope you are all doing fine this morning.

Lucy, I am 52, dxed 3 years` now, walk like a penguin, my right hand is very awkward and have a right armed tremor, but I am thankful that I can get to the garden and do what I can. Ann, when I was a small boy I used to hang out at my Uncles farm. He had a threshing machine come to the farm and all the neighbour men. All the sheaves of oats were brought in by the wagon load and put through. It was a whirr of tractors, long drive belts, mountains of straw, full grain bins, tables of pies and bowls of food. I can picture that so easily in my mind. As a kid, I was running around all that activity and it was fun.

Anyways, what is up today in Ireland, do things slow down for the day. I hope that everybody gets a chance to sit down to rest today, read the paper, have another piece of toast, more coffee, take the dog for a walk, post back to the board, sew the button back on a favourite shirt, watch a good movie, visit your auntie, relax, forget about Parky Flu, paint a picture. Want me to go on or does every one have a plan now?

I send you all my most sincere greetings, john

979 Hello World! on 29/8/2010, 12:56 am

Ann

Admin
Admin
Good evening Ireland, Ici la vote de la jurie Swisse! Those of us old enough to remember the Eurovision Song Contest (pre its current digital format) when the voting was conducted over often unreliable phone lines will also remember that the streets of Ireland were deserted during the contest. We might not have thought the songs the greatest but the clothes and the sophistication and the national pride in being able not only to take part but occasionally win kept us glued to the television.

So Good Evening Europe became a statement of great pride! We've come a long way since then.

Reading through some of the recent posts is a humbling experience. Nice to be in your company, guys. I am a city girl with a mother raised in the depths of the country - she used to talk of pulling turnips until her knuckles bled, or about the social activity around the threshing each year. My cousins from down home went barefoot in the summer. I had white cotton ankle socks, but the freedom of bare feet was to me a marvel.

Good night
Wink

980 Re: Hello Ireland on 28/8/2010, 11:14 pm

lucy

Hi JB
I dont know how you do it I can hardly go out to the garden never mind work in it. Have a good weekend. PS thers a canadian artist called Seema Goel in a town close to us today somthing to do with spinning sheeps wool have you ever heard of her?

981 Re: Hello Ireland on 28/8/2010, 10:00 pm

jb49

Good day Ireland, happy Saturday. I love the weekend. Today I am going to clean up the vegetable garden and maybe plant a few more things like radish and leaf lettuce. Yesterday we ate from the garden some tomatoes, onions, watermelon, corn and we picked raspberries which Wifey will make into jam today. I love working in the garden. Last year I had a horrible run in with the Potato Bug Maximus which despite my constant vigil, slowly but surely ate all the potato leaves and resulted in not a good potato harvest. This spring I plowed a new patch in virgin ground back in the field. They sprouted, I hilled them, admired them, and then ignored them for a couple of months. But when I went to check out what should of been a lovely patch of taters, I found many deer tracks, and chewed off potato plants. Damn white tailed deer. Oh well, not many potatoes again. Despite my gardening setbacks, It is nice to grow and eat your own food. And it is good therapy and excercise for my PD body.

I hope that each and everyone of you have a good day, and your symptoms take the day off. Chins up, be strong, John.

982 Re: Hello Ireland on 27/8/2010, 11:27 pm

jb49

Hello Ireland, hope you are having a good day. How are you Lucy? Got the SP recipe Ems, thankyou, look forward to trying it out.

Time, it marches along too fast. The air here is hinting at fall and jobs I planned to this summer are still waiting.. I gotta get busy. On a bigger scale, there is a job list of things I need to get done while the Parky demons physically allow me to. Parkinsons really snuck up on me and here I am.

Be strong, do your best and remember that Parky Flu isn't our fault so don't beat up on yourself over the shortfalls. Peace to you, John

983 Re: Hello Ireland on 27/8/2010, 12:48 am

jb49

Hi Em and the rest of Ireland. My wife will love to receive that recipe. We will let you know how it turns out. Yes, when it is med time, the body lets us know doesn't it. I used to watch A team with mr T on TV. Clever show.

I find myself going from one end of the spectrum to the other. Makes me feel whacky some days. Here is the thing. I'm 52, got Parky flu and some days I get so frustrated that I am almost crying and talking out loud to myself. The next day I will see something like a kid in a wheelchair or begging for food in flooded Pakistan and then I go all stoic and say that I'm luckier than most and carry on. The mood swings are big. I know that I need to stay positive and consider my blessings and I hate pulling myself up by comparing myself to others with worse luck than mine. I'm ok, but it does bug me to go through these cycles.

Have a good day Ireland, John

PS, Any comments are more than welcome, pos or neg, I can take it!!

984 Re: Hello Ireland on 26/8/2010, 9:17 pm

ems

Admin
Admin
Good morning all,

Hi john, I just sent you on my s pie recipe it's fairly traditional but good.
Hope all is well with you..not overdoing it.

just a quick hello meds time coming up my hand is shaking and my mouth has started to tremor over last 6 months..

Speaking of movies i brought sean to see the new movie A team last week and really enjoyed it even though the cast were different..still it was fun and action packed.

good day to everybody
Em

985 Energy level or lack thereof on 26/8/2010, 2:08 am

jb49

Hi everybody, i'm late today, must almost be supper time now in Ireland. I was at an Irish pub on the weekend and had a good shepherds pie. It is a good thing for me to order cause it is right there in one dish, no cutting tough steak with my parky paw, and it is easy to swallow. I should ask for your recipe for s pie Ems if it isn't a family secret.

Energy, I haven't got enough. I am 52, kids are grown and gone and I have grandkids. I am at Katy's house this week helping her while hubby is out of town and it reminds me how difficult it must be for young parents with Parky Flu to raise those kids. I salute you!!

Her kids are all fine, lots of fun and energy, Lots of work too. Seems like yesterday I was a young father, Time marches fast. My Dad used to tell me that it goes faster as you get older and I thought he was crazy, Turns out Dad was right again.

What I started to say AT THE START IS THAT THE DISEASE ITSELF AND THE MEDICINES WE HAVE TO TAKE, SORRYabout the cap lock thing, haven't energy to change it, sap us of get up and go. My pills, requip and azilect cause me to be drowsier than I would be, or is it Parkinsons, or am I lazy or is because I am now 52, or what. I just wish I could have a nice clear head with lots of energy. But I don't

Hope everyone has had a fine day and gets a good nites sleep. Don't forget to watch a good comedy on the tube, cause laughing is good for us, be strong, john

986 Re: Hello Ireland on 25/8/2010, 9:07 pm

ems

Admin
Admin
Good morning John,Ann,Lucy and everybody..

How's things in Dublin and Donegal?

Where do you get your energy John your always on the go any chance of sending some over to kilkenny, lol..I for one always enjoy reading your posts..how's little Tommy? hug for roxy..enjoy your few days i'm sure the boys can't wait to see and have fun with their loving grandad.

Hope we see more of you guys posting can be about anything.
Take care
Em

987 Re: Hello Ireland on 25/8/2010, 1:36 am

lucy

Hi John
Make sure those boys dont end up tying you to the chair again get in there fast and get them before they get you. I see your wife had the right sense to stay at home she dident want to chance beign buried under the sofa again
PS I'm sure thet are good boys really.

988 Re: Hello Ireland on 24/8/2010, 10:30 pm

jb49

I hope that no one ever is offended by my sense of nonsense, sarcasm or anything else. I am not a scholar or English major or world renowned Doctor so don't expect anything too startling from me. Heck, I don't even spell that good. I also hope that someone takes the time to post back once in awhile so that I know that I am not talking to myself. Not that that would stop me. I guess I will be able to gauge what you think by the number of views that happen. In highschool, back in the other century, i did take a typing course and I could type really fast with both hands. I don't type as fast now with Snarly, the Parkinson Fire Breathing Dragon that I live with and attempt to slay on a daily basis, holding my right hand in his mouth. Taking my azilect and requip must alter the taste of my blood and causes Snarly to retreat a bit so that I can get some things done. Today I am going to my Daughters house in Kingston about 100 km away. I'll help her with the 3 boys while her hubby is at work out of town in Montreal. I am a carpenter by trade, a slow one now with a shaky right hand, and I am trying to put up some walls and finish up their basement. The main thing to get done now is a second bathroom for them. Anyways, I got to get going and on the road. Having PD makes my work and driving and everything a bit more challenging but that isn't news to anyone on this forum I'm thinking. Thanks for the encouragement Lucy and Ems. I hope I neither embarass or disappoint you with my musings from Canada.

Gotta run, I am staying down there for 2 nights but I can get online at her house I think. So here's hoping that everybody has a good day, a safe day, and a productive day. Try to be confident and I will try too. Cheers, John

989 Re: Hello Ireland on 24/8/2010, 1:21 am

ems

Admin
Admin
Hi John and thank you..lucy's said it all..glad you enjoyed your weekend best wishes to your wife and family.
Em

990 RE HELLO IRELAND on 23/8/2010, 11:31 pm

lucy

Hello John
Thanks so much for your post. I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed your weekend with your family. Did Roxy go to or did you leave him/her with the dog sitter?.To anybody looking in as John said he is from Ontario in Canada He made enquiries as to where he could purchse my three poems ie My Uninvited Friend
A Normal Day and We Have A Dream which I posted to him and then a few weeks later I received a 50 dollar cheque to go towards my fundraising for the PAI.
PS if anyone would like to purchase you are welcome to send me a message So stay tuned to john's posts and I guarantee you wont be dissapointed and mabey somebody will even reply. So come on everybody get posting

991 Hello Ireland on 23/8/2010, 10:26 pm

jb49

Trying again. My first post went spinning off the tracks like a runaway train. Bad Karma? hope not, but maybe two first posts will show up.

I'm John from Ontario. I am going to try a daily greeting thread with this board and see how it goes. Very low key, but sincere, no groundbreaking PD news, just heartfelt encouragement.

My Wife and I drove to Ottawa on the weekend. (250 kms there) Strange city, driving, and restaraunts bring out tremors. We had a great time: visited, had dinners, walked, did museums with my son and wife who live there. Saturday nite we went to an "Irish Pub" and I had a yummy shepherds pie and a bottle of Killkenny. Your beer makes our beer taste like soda pop.

I hope everybody has a good and safe day. Be strong, John

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 40 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum