PAIForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Travel and Parkinson's

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

A question folks..I have been asked by several people if i my Pd entitles me to free travel..i never actually looked into it just wonder if anybody here has checked it out, i wouldn't even know who to ask.
Ems.

Share this post on: reddit

Ann

Post 26/9/2011, 8:16 am  Ann

Patsy wrote:Hi Ems

Katie is right, and you are also entitled to have a Disabled Parking Card, you could also try for a Primary Medical Certificate, (if you were buying a car)you would be exempt from VRT, VAT, and motor tax.

There is a Motorised Transport Grant towards the purchase/adaptation of a car.

lol Patsy !!!

Patsy, a good idea. Let me relate a friend's experience becase this rquires a medical assessment and as we all know, PD can vary during the day. He failed the first assessment because he was perfect. The second time he made sure he showed signs of PD and was accepted. He was not being dishonest, but he had to show that he needed, could benefit from, and deserved to get this cert. And if you get the Primary Med Cert you also get a fuel allowance, €600 per year I think.

Ann

Post 26/9/2011, 8:02 am  Ann

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW40/Pages/2HowdoIqualifyforfreetravel.aspx

1890 66 22 44 and I wil also email one person to see how it worked.

Citizens Information centres would go through it all with you. Keep us posted.

Lucy has the rest of the detail!

And then the Disabled Parking Card - worth getting even if you don't drive because if you get a lift you can bring it with you and it entitles the driver as long as you are with him or her to displqy your card on the dashboard and use the disabled parking facilities.

ems

Post 31/8/2011, 5:11 am  ems

lucy wrote:If yor are receiving disability allowance you automatically qualify for free travel within Ireland. You may also be entiteled to a reduction in your electricity and phone bill. Yoy may also qualify for a fuel allowance which is payable during the winter months.

If another person is claiming carers allowance for you they will also receive a free travel pass. They are also entiteled to work 15 hours a week for the health board without it affecting either payments.
If a carer chooses to work their 15 hours somewhere else other than the health board they will lose some of their benefit.

Cheers Lucy!

lucy

Post 31/8/2011, 2:21 am  lucy

If yor are receiving disability allowance you automatically qualify for free travel within Ireland. You may also be entiteled to a reduction in your electricity and phone bill. Yoy may also qualify for a fuel allowance which is payable during the winter months.

If another person is claiming carers allowance for you they will also receive a free travel pass. They are also entiteled to work 15 hours a week for the health board without it affecting either payments.
If a carer chooses to work their 15 hours somewhere else other than the health board they will lose some of their benefit.

ems

Post 30/8/2011, 11:09 pm  ems

Thank you Katie,Patsy and Marie (for sending on info)..I forgot to mention that i don't drive so i travel by bus mainly thanks again ill check it out.. Smile

Patsy

Post 30/8/2011, 2:32 pm  Patsy

Hi Ems

Katie is right, and you are also entitled to have a Disabled Parking Card, you could also try for a Primary Medical Certificate, (if you were buying a car)you would be exempt from VRT, VAT, and motor tax.

There is a Motorised Transport Grant towards the purchase/adaptation of a car.

lol Patsy !!!

Post 30/8/2011, 8:36 am  katie

Hi ems,

I checked the citizens advice page and as far as i can see, if you are getting disability allowance you are entitled to free travel, its definitely worth checking out.

katie

Post   Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum