PAIForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello Ireland

+7
katie
MarieB
cathy
jb49
ems
lucy
ClemMcGann
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 15]

1Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Hello Ireland 7/9/2012, 9:08 am

Patsy

Patsy

First topic message reminder :

Hello Ireland - Page 11 044435ef

I have been busy setting up a PD branch in Roscommon, the nearest branch is in Galway, that is an hours drive from me.
Our first meeting is on the 12th Sept.
Lets hope we can help someone newly diagnosed with PD. as I had nobody to talk too, actually I did not know what PD was. "I FELT SO ALONE"

Hello Ireland - Page 11 AfterN jb in Canada !!!!!!!!!!!!
Hello Ireland - Page 11 709g3pju0v to All !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

251Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 7/12/2012, 2:25 am

lucy

lucy

The lot of ye are putting the notion into my head to go to kilkenny and mabey I will before long. I am thinking seriously about it, but be warned I shall expect to be pampered and treated like the queen lol

252Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 7/12/2012, 2:07 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Hello to all,

Great Katie..thanks from Seán..i agree hope your paying attention Lucy.. take care everyone..em Smile

253Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 6/12/2012, 8:27 am

katie

Hi to you all,

Ems I will let Sean have the recepie, he can treat you then. It was good to meet up again.Lucy you will have to join us some of these days!

Marie, I hope the family recover from the bug soon.

Hope everyone is keeping reasonably well.

Only 24 more shopping days to christmas Smile

Katie

254Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Hello Ireland 6/12/2012, 12:44 am

MarieB

Eat your heart out Lucy, the apple tart was melt in the mouth and the tobelerone cake was full of Bailey's!

What Ems hasn't mentioned is the deliciously creamy rice pudding she made. She's promised to make one for me so you'd better get your skates on in the new year and come and join the feasting we four get up to lol

Hope everyone coping. Lots of nasty vomiting bugs going round in KK....daughter started with it last Saturday and the whole family ( mum,dad and three children) have succumbed in rapid succession! Still all at home and feeling worse for wear as it was particularly nasty and has filled the wash basket twice over. Daughter more or less ok and screaming to get back to normal. Rang me today to tell me she feels like she lost a week of her life...lol. I said 'Join the Club darling' Am I the wicked one or not?

255Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 5/12/2012, 9:09 pm

lucy

lucy

Sean a man after my own heart. Katie I hear you are a brilliant cook so you and your toblorone cake are welcome here anytime. PS make it a double I'm on a diet lol.

256Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 5/12/2012, 7:38 pm

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Good morning all..

Cold here and icy patches they say so take care if driving..

Katie what can i say?? Seán says your welcome here anytime on one condition lol..oh oh..yes you will have to bring a toblerone cake with you..absolutely delicious everything apple pie, etc thank you ...what a lunch and lovely chat..Marie, thank you too and i know shelia isn't a member here (maybe she might just join)..hi jb. rustytinman (mike) hope you get back here i know you're trying..
Patsy, Lucy, Clem..hope ye and everybody is well.

Take care friends
em

257Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 2/12/2012, 12:12 pm

Patsy

Patsy

MarieB wrote:Yes please Em, let me know cost next week. Will be in touch before Tuesday!

Have you got Jb's birthday right Patsy?

It's not showing up on forum but then maybe you know something we don't know..who knows lol x

If it is your birthday Jb ( and there's no reason to doubt Patsy)' then Happy Birthday to you and hope you get some nice treats from your family . Have a great day anyway and let Mr P take a back seat for a change xx

Hello Ireland - Page 11 Xdmax9vakv_zps8508c3ae Hello Ireland - Page 11 Wrong-wiser-il_zps97c2ba56 Hello Ireland - Page 11 ThumbnailCAUC1VD0 Hello Ireland - Page 11 Ga012-1 Hello Ireland - Page 11 ThumbnailCA3OG130-1

Patsy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

258Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 1/12/2012, 2:05 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Hi Jb yes my brother has written 5 books, 1 of them is about the town we grew up in and another about county surrounding ..another one called 'Bad Hare Days'..

Oh yea Marie at least we know when Jb's birthday is..March i did wonder..lol

Take care folks Smile

259Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 1/12/2012, 1:22 am

jb49

jb49

Gday,

No it isn't my Birthday Marie, not until March.

Patsy was only thanking me (you are welcome Patsy) for wishing her a Happy Birthday recently.

Clem, I enjoyed the story you told.

Ems, that is great that your brother wrote a book.

Marie, so glad to see you back.

Its minus ten C today. Yikes, I should park my feet next to the woodstove but there is stuff to do.

I plowed my garden and picked up another 10 pounds of nice red potatoes that had evaded my fork earlier. Good thing the plowing is done, it will be froze soon.

Pressure of Christmas: My daughter found 5 year old Tommy head down crying at the table. What is wrong Tommy she asked and he replied that no way would he be able to be good enough behaved until Christmas for Santa Clause to bring him stuff.

And here is a picture of the full moon last nite. Yes the same moon you get. We share it.

Hello Ireland - Page 11 P1070508-1

Good safe weekend to you all

jb

260Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Hello Ireland 30/11/2012, 10:12 pm

MarieB

Yes please Em, let me know cost next week. Will be in touch before Tuesday!

Have you got Jb's birthday right Patsy?

It's not showing up on forum but then maybe you know something we don't know..who knows lol x

If it is your birthday Jb ( and there's no reason to doubt Patsy)' then Happy Birthday to you and hope you get some nice treats from your family . Have a great day anyway and let Mr P take a back seat for a change xx

261Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 30/11/2012, 8:57 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

ems wrote:
ClemMcGann wrote:Some of the visitors to the museum today
as school groups go they were very good
well behaved and interested in the exhibits
with promises to return with their parents

Are we invaded yet? I remember that book
I haven't seen it for a while
It was a lovely read, describing how the "emergency" was seen by "the man in the street"
with a nice sprinkling of cartoons, most (if memory serves) from Dublin Opinion
I must look for it again

Hello Ireland - Page 11 Haroldw

That's the book Clem glad you enjoyed, it looks like ye had a good day in the museum..ill get you a copy Marie if you like..

262Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 30/11/2012, 8:36 am

ClemMcGann

Some of the visitors to the museum today
as school groups go they were very good
well behaved and interested in the exhibits
with promises to return with their parents

Are we invaded yet? I remember that book
I haven't seen it for a while
It was a lovely read, describing how the "emergency" was seen by "the man in the street"
with a nice sprinkling of cartoons, most (if memory serves) from Dublin Opinion
I must look for it again

Hello Ireland - Page 11 Haroldw

http://www.mariner.ie

263Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Hello Ireland 30/11/2012, 7:29 am

MarieB

We will Ems that's if I can muster the strength to venture out....lol

Good story Clem and what a coincidence about your brothers book Ems....love to read it.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, whatever you decide to do.

264Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 30/11/2012, 7:18 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Hello there to everybody..hope ye all have a good weekend..wrap up it is sooooo cold Smile

265Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 30/11/2012, 5:32 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

ClemMcGann wrote:A little story from those days – and every word is true.

Ireland was neutral. Nonetheless invasion was feared. There were gun batteries protecting every port and likely landing place. A new, young, officer was concerned that procedures were lax. He went to the gun emplacement protecting Dublin port. It was manned by an LDF unit. (Local Defence Force, later known as FCA). He brought some military police with him. He wasn’t pleased. The place was untidy, uniforms were unkempt and he doubted that procedures were being followed. For example they were meant to stop every ship entering and ask its name and cargo.

While he was berating them, the SS Shamrock sailed in. Shocked at a ship entering unchallenged he demanded to know why. “But that’s the Shamrock, Sir, she always does that, three days every week”.

An aside, the SS Shamrock took solids from sewerage treatment plants and dumped them far out at sea. This practice continued until the early 1950s when it was stopped following pressure from the Isle of Mann.

“Demand her name and cargo” he bellowed. The signal was sent. The Shamrock just continued upriver. “Fire a warning shot across her bows” he ordered. At this the sergeant in charge of the gun exclaimed “Oh sh1t”. “Arrest that man” the officer instructed the MPs. He was arrested. There was a court martial.
The LDF were part-time volunteer soldiers. This sergeant was a prominent businessman and a veteran of the war of independence. There was no way that he would be convicted. When asked why he used that expletive, he explained: “The officer asked her cargo”.
Case dismissed.

Hi Clem..my brother wrote a book called 'Are We Invaded Yet' about The Emergency..

266Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 26/11/2012, 9:11 pm

ClemMcGann

A little story from those days – and every word is true.

Ireland was neutral. Nonetheless invasion was feared. There were gun batteries protecting every port and likely landing place. A new, young, officer was concerned that procedures were lax. He went to the gun emplacement protecting Dublin port. It was manned by an LDF unit. (Local Defence Force, later known as FCA). He brought some military police with him. He wasn’t pleased. The place was untidy, uniforms were unkempt and he doubted that procedures were being followed. For example they were meant to stop every ship entering and ask its name and cargo.

While he was berating them, the SS Shamrock sailed in. Shocked at a ship entering unchallenged he demanded to know why. “But that’s the Shamrock, Sir, she always does that, three days every week”.

An aside, the SS Shamrock took solids from sewerage treatment plants and dumped them far out at sea. This practice continued until the early 1950s when it was stopped following pressure from the Isle of Mann.

“Demand her name and cargo” he bellowed. The signal was sent. The Shamrock just continued upriver. “Fire a warning shot across her bows” he ordered. At this the sergeant in charge of the gun exclaimed “Oh sh1t”. “Arrest that man” the officer instructed the MPs. He was arrested. There was a court martial.
The LDF were part-time volunteer soldiers. This sergeant was a prominent businessman and a veteran of the war of independence. There was no way that he would be convicted. When asked why he used that expletive, he explained: “The officer asked her cargo”.
Case dismissed.

267Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Hello Ireland 26/11/2012, 4:32 am

MarieB

Good to see they are remembered Clem.

268Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 26/11/2012, 4:28 am

ClemMcGann

Hello Ireland - Page 11 Mem12a Hello Ireland - Page 11 Mem12b

Today I met Michael and we went to remember those lost on Irish ships during WW2

269Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Hello Ireland 26/11/2012, 1:54 am

MarieB

Mornin Jb, Ems and all, wherever you are.

Wish it was snowing here....at least you can get your teeth into it and enjoy a good walk in crisp snow first thing. All I woke up to this morning was a foggy, drizzly noothing sort of day.. a bit like the way Im feeling.Lol

Gonna make an Austrian Cheescake this afternoon guys so hope you have some space left over from Ems scones!

270Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 26/11/2012, 1:20 am

jb49

jb49

Good morning Princess Em and everyone else.

It is snowing a bit here this morning. I could live without that for awhile but the weatherman never asks for requests. Its time for a morning walk and then the day begins. Have a good day on the Emerald Isle.

Hey, are you still there Cathy, haven't heard you for awhile.

all the best, jb

271Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/11/2012, 6:43 pm

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Hey what skateboard Marie?..lol

mornin' folks..kettle's on lucy-lou ..scones ready guys just waiting on Jb to bring his special syrup or jam..(preferable raspberry).... Smile

272Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/11/2012, 3:17 pm

jb49

jb49

Let us out of the mail van cause we are crammed in here and I got restless legs, set us up with some tea and scones in Em's castle, and we can discuss this debt issue over a cuppa. Stick together in there, we don't want nobody getting lost.

273Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/11/2012, 4:24 am

ClemMcGann

Perhaps we should split this thread in two.
There is no way that this debt is 'manageable'
There are two parts to the debt = one is the overrun of expenditute = which is our (I mean Our government's) fault
But the other part is not our fault at all, it is the bank debt from Anglo and Nationwide etc
That debt is 62billion or 64billion (there are two ways to calculate it)
pause
what is the population of the country - something over 4 million
of which there are children, OAPs etc
So those earning are far less than a million
- -
do your sums
such a debt cannot be repaid
our present struggles will not reply a red cent
all Kenny can hope to do is pay the interest
- - -
but it wasn't our debt in the first place
When Leyman brothers went bust = they went bust = no american taxpayer was asked to repay the gamblers losses
But when German bankers gamble its "heads we win - tails you loose"
For a list of the gamblers we are compensating for their reckless behaviour:

274Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Hello Ireland 25/11/2012, 4:02 am

MarieB

Sorry jb have to add another......'confusedinkk.com'

Knock, knock, its me Emma and tell that son of yours his skateboard better hadnt be left in the hall waiting for me to slip on!! Can't afford the health premiums no more........

My question to this government (thats if youll all allow me to put my pennyworth in.....) is why do they keep insisting this debt which they are crippling us with is 'manageable' and at what stage do they think it'll become 'unmanageable'? It clearly is not manageable in terms of raising money to pay of their debts, the only thing thats 'manageable' as far as I can see is ''the people' by cutting back on essential services , cutting pay, cutting jobs and generally making life miserable. Even then, I doubt they'll achieve their goal because they seem afraid to carry anything through eg the household charge and no doubt a lot of the cuts in the forthcoming budget will never be implemented. Spineless is an understatement.
Thats how it seems to me anyway but if anyone can enlighten me, Im ready to listen. Incidentally, I forgot the extortionate salaries, pensions and expenses they pay themselves!

Pass the scones Emma x

275Hello Ireland - Page 11 Empty Re: Hello Ireland 25/11/2012, 3:09 am

ClemMcGann

Belay that order!
send for icepacks
ointments
bandages
the Knights of Malta
The Red Crescent
The John's Ambulance
(no point in trying the local A&E)
They are all battered and bruised