PAIForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

The attitude of others

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The attitude of others Empty The attitude of others 16/10/2009, 3:24 am

Ann

Ann
Admin
Admin

Cathy - I went to a psychotherapist about this very thing when I noticed my walk was going funny. I asked him about it and this guy he didn't beat about the bush. He used to tease me with "Ah Poor me", referring to me and my self pity. He asked me where caused me the most difficulty and my answer was a certain shopping centre where to get to a particular shop I had to walk across an open area where to one side there were tables and people sitting chatting and looking around. You always think they are looking at you.

His prescription - walk that route, then do it again, and again, and agaain, and people would get tired of looking or you would realise they were not really loking at all most of them. Michael J. Fox somewhere said the same thing - you are looked at by far fewer people than you think.

OK, I didn't do it, I chickened out and stayed at home more and more. Someone suggested carrying a walking stick and you know, this works. If you have a walking stick you are a person with a physical disability, and people are helpful - first on the lift etc. Another thing I find useful is to pass a cheerful comment when someone is staring - a comment on the weather, something said with a smile, and then the ice is broken. Or go out with a friend, linking their arm.

Hey, is it easy? No. Do I take my own advice? Not always! If anyone else has suggestions that might help Cathy, please join in.

Cathy, keep in touch.

http://www.parkinsons.ie

2The attitude of others Empty others 16/10/2009, 12:00 am

cathy

cathy

I just wonder am I alone or do other pd sufferers notice People do stare especially at check out counters and yes it does bother me very much any ideas to overcome this horrible problem
cathy

3The attitude of others Empty The attitude of others 19/1/2009, 6:36 am

Ann

Ann
Admin
Admin

Does the reaction of other people put you off going out, or do you care?

The effect of a walking stick?

http://www.parkinsons.ie

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]