PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello Ireland

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 39 of 40]

1 Hello Ireland on 23/8/2010, 10:26 pm

jb49

First topic message reminder :

Trying again. My first post went spinning off the tracks like a runaway train. Bad Karma? hope not, but maybe two first posts will show up.

I'm John from Ontario. I am going to try a daily greeting thread with this board and see how it goes. Very low key, but sincere, no groundbreaking PD news, just heartfelt encouragement.

My Wife and I drove to Ottawa on the weekend. (250 kms there) Strange city, driving, and restaraunts bring out tremors. We had a great time: visited, had dinners, walked, did museums with my son and wife who live there. Saturday nite we went to an "Irish Pub" and I had a yummy shepherds pie and a bottle of Killkenny. Your beer makes our beer taste like soda pop.

I hope everybody has a good and safe day. Be strong, John

951 Re: Hello Ireland on 10/9/2010, 11:54 pm

lucy

Hi JB
Sorry to hear about your parents. It will be a hard thing to do but probably the best even from the safety point of view and you can do without the worry. Have a good weekend. PS I will have that nice pint of cold beer for you and will think of you as I'm drinking it LOL

952 Re: Hello Ireland on 10/9/2010, 10:40 pm

jb49

Good day Ireland,

Clem, wives can be so clever. Sounds like a great ticket price for a flight to Spain.

Yesterday I had to watch over my Dad while my sister took my Mom to the hospital for a day surgery thing. My Dad is advanced into Alzheimers and was hard to keep occupied. They are very close to requiring a nursing home. So sad to see a parent loose all sense of reasoning.

TGIF, and if I could, I would teleport myself at 5 o'clock to a pub in Ireland for a cold beer and some rousing cheer. Till the Missus teleports in behind me on my tailwind and drags me home by the ear to supper. Maybe we would have supper in the pub? Ah, questions, choices and options, ain't life grand!

Have a great day Ireland and be strong, John

953 Re: Hello Ireland on 10/9/2010, 3:10 am

jb49

Hi everybody, hi Clem.

Busy with Life today. Talk later. Be strong everybody. John

954 Re: Hello Ireland on 9/9/2010, 2:14 am

ClemMcGann

jb49 wrote:I had asked about requip and sleepiness last week and it seems that many people take a 1 a day dose of requip XL. I asked at the pharmacy yesterday about it and it isn't available in Canada yet. Too bad.

Last May, here in Spain, I decided to spend an extra week, so I booked a one way ticket home for a week later and let my original booking lapse. Only after that I realised that I would run out of meds. I went to a local pharmacy. They only sold Requip by the box - and wanted more than €200. Probably a good price, but as I am on the long-term illness, they are free in Ireland. Then I phoned the VHI - my health and travel insurer - (now this sounds crazy, but ...) They would not pay for the requip - but If I was to see a Spanish neuro and he prescribed them, then they would pay for the neuro and for the requip! As it wouldn't hurt my pocket I was tempted and wondered how soon I could see a Spanish neuro. Then my wife (who has far more sense than I) solved all, she rang the pharmacy (in Dun Laoghaire), they mailed the requip I needed, which arrived in two days, end of story.

http://www.mariner.ie

955 Re: Hello Ireland on 9/9/2010, 1:56 am

ClemMcGann

jb49 wrote:The sympathy tears, despite my best efforts, for the sunburn refuse to flow! Seriously, that is great to be on holiday.
The top of my back (the part I can't reach) has developed a tan.
Yup, its great, the rest of you should be here.
With the Aer Lingus €10.99 flights seat sale, why are you waiting?

956 Re: Hello Ireland on 8/9/2010, 9:58 pm

jb49

Good Day Ireland. Conas ata tu?

What started out as a musing inquiry is starting to sound more serious. I better start saving my pennies for the trip.

I had asked about requip and sleepiness last week and it seems that many people take a 1 a day dose of requip XL. I asked at the pharmacy yesterday about it and it isn't available in Canada yet. Too bad.

Anyways, its off to work. Basement renovations at my daughters. It is about an hours drive to there.
Thanks for the language lesson Lucy, and the points of interest Em. Tell Sean that I look forward to dinner. Keep them coming please.

Have a good day everybody. Don't get mad at our Parky shortfalls. We can only do our best. Be strong, John.

957 Re: Hello Ireland on 8/9/2010, 12:58 am

ems

Admin
Admin
Máith an Caílín lucy- Good girl.

Ok Jb..If Kilkenny is on your list..

A walk in Woodstock Gardens is a must, i think your wife would also love them,
followed by a refreshing drink at the Woodstock Arms. Dinner at ems served by our own Sean...how am i doing so far guys?
over to you Clem..

Last edited by ems on 9/9/2010, 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total

958 Re: Hello Ireland on 8/9/2010, 12:01 am

lucy

Hi JB
While Clem and Ems are working on your top ten things to do I will make a start on your irish lessons. You dident think you were going to swan over to Ireland with not a word of Irish did you ??? Right here goes

Dia duit Sean Hello John
Conas ata tu How are you
Cead meile failte A hundred thousand welcomes

Ps and you will be expected to learn these because there will be a test coming up when you least expect it I think I was a teacher in another life lol!

959 Re: Hello Ireland on 7/9/2010, 10:57 pm

jb49

Clem, we are suffering work and weather, you are lounging on the Med and getting sunburnt. The sympathy tears, despite my best efforts, for the sunburn refuse to flow! Seriously, that is great to be on holiday. Are you working on a list for top 10 things to do in Europe for me?

Everybody in Ireland: Have a good day, John

960 Re: Hello Ireland on 7/9/2010, 4:22 am

ClemMcGann

greetings from España. Got a bit sunburnt. A little too long in the med.

961 Re: Hello Ireland on 6/9/2010, 10:53 pm

jb49

Hello Ireland, Clem, Lucy, Ems, Ann and New Member Eleanor;

It is Labour Day in Canada, so a long weekend, so what is wrong with that!! Nothing.

Lucy, that must of been such a sad time in your family. I hate to see children suffer sickness. It is amazing how much the human soul can withstand.

Where do you live Eleanor, what do you like? Please post us up to date.

Still waiting for the top 9 nine things to do on the Emerald Isle after Kilkenny and save a spot for Clem and I to hit his favourite fishing stream. Guess that leaves 8 now.

Well I have two little boys scampering around the house in various stages of getting dressed and Mary Poppins is playing on the TV. Another not so dull day.

Be strong today all you PDers of Ireland. Don't be afraid to poke the Parkie gremlins in the nose. John

962 Re: Hello Ireland on 6/9/2010, 8:22 pm

ems

Admin
Admin
Good morning Jb, Ann, Lucy, Clem and welcome to our new member Eleanor..
I am so sorry jb, lucy i guess life can be so unfair..but as jb says squeeze as much from life as we can.

On a lighter note if i may..just making a list of top ten things to see in Ireland..meds time for me guys..to be continued..
Em

963 Re: Hello Ireland on 6/9/2010, 3:08 am

lucy

Well JB looks like another noisy day in your house. It must be terrible to watch your parents change like that. A friend's father had alzimers and she said one day you could laugh your head of and the next day you could sit down and cry. Both my parents died suddenly and I was lucky enough to see both if them the night before they died. My father in law lived until he was 90 and myself and husband looked after him for the last few years of his life which was very hard work because he was bedridden, our own life was put on hold but we would do it again if we had to. At around the same time his great granson developed cancer and passed away they were both buried the same day Grandad was 90 Shane was 9.
Look after yourself

964 Re: Hello Ireland on 5/9/2010, 9:50 pm

jb49

Hello Ireland,

Well, it is Sunday morning and it is just me and the old dog up so far. That won't last for long though because my daughter and family pulled in here last nite for a visit and the three little boys will soon be filling the house with not noise, just the sound of three little boys. Ooh! there is one sounding now.

We come into this world needing care from others and that is the way we leave too for many people. We visited the wife's parents at a nursing home last nite. Both of them suffer dementia and it is sad to see. What is really sad is watching my wife watch them. Her eyes fill with such sadness. They have flickers of their old personalities but there is too much confusion, fear, angst and delusions. They are 88 and 90 and both were very proud people. They would be upset to know how they have become. I hope to grow old too, but not to live like that. On my side, my mom is diabetic with her health issues and she still lives at her house on the river with my Dad who is going down the Alzheimer path. Yesterday, she went to town for groceries and he became anxious. Eventually he walked to a neighbour's house all upset because she had been gone so long. So the end of independent living is in sight for my folks as well. Between helping with in laws, my parents, our kids, I don't really have time for Parkinsons.

So today we visit some people, pick apples in the orchard for applesauce and pies, pet the horses, see the neighbour's model train setup, have supper, check out Roy's new ducklings, make a big bonfire, have fun, enjoy life to the max.

Thanks Ireland for listening, Be strong and squeeze as much joy from life as you can. John

965 Re: Hello Ireland on 5/9/2010, 12:32 am

jb49

Hello Ireland , Em, Ann and Lucy, and today Clem

As much as I would like to come to Ireland, it is a ways off yet. Probably just me and the wife, no grandkids. Do you like to fish. I have a fly rod and like fishing for smallmouth bass. What and where do you fish in Ireland.

Do you take 12 mg of requip all at once at bedtime?

I like old stone and wood buildings, pubs, food, ocean waves, horses, fishing, taking pictures, talking to strangers.
Could that be Ireland

#1 stop would be Kilkenny

Thanks Clem.

Heh, everybody have a good day and be at peace with yourself,. John

966 Requip zzzzzzzzzzzzz on 4/9/2010, 5:59 am

ClemMcGann

jb49 wrote:Hello Ireland, I think I would enjoy a trip to Ireland someday. If I did, what would be on the List of the Top 10 Things to see in Ireland?

Wow, I have changed pills from Mirapex to requip. When I take 2mg in the morning, I feel it sweep through the body and within the hour I have trouble keeping awake. Anyone else find requip to be a real sleeping pill.

Its the weekend coming. Yes! I will bring my 10 yr old grandson home with me and maybe we can do some fishing.

Hope everyone has an excellent Friday. Be strong,

John

I am on 12mg requip - now I take them at night
(I was never on 2 - started on 4)

R U bringing your 10yo to Ireland?
That will influence your top ten things to do
What are your interests?
I'm sure that we can make suggestions
And you will find excellent fishing

967 Re: Hello Ireland on 3/9/2010, 11:41 pm

jb49

Hello Ireland, I think I would enjoy a trip to Ireland someday. If I did, what would be on the List of the Top 10 Things to see in Ireland?

You will find it 1 day Lucy. Did the Lucille Ball Show ever air over there on TV. Lucille was always getting into predicaments. When my wife gets into a mess I always tease her by calling her Lucy.

Wow, I have changed pills from Mirapex to requip. When I take 2mg in the morning, I feel it sweep through the body and within the hour I have trouble keeping awake. Anyone else find requip to be a real sleeping pill.

Its the weekend coming. Yes! I will bring my 10 yr old grandson home with me and maybe we can do some fishing.

Hope everyone has an excellent Friday. Be strong,

John

968 hello ireland on 3/9/2010, 3:11 am

lucy

No JB I never found the address I probably put it in such a safe place that no one will ever find it not even me

969 Re: Hello Ireland on 3/9/2010, 12:24 am

jb49

Hello Ireland,

Did you find that special hiding safe spot yet Lucy? Between bills, tools, glasses, telephone, tv remote, wallet, truck keys, dog and my sanity, I swear that half my day is spent searching.

I did acouple days work at the home of my dentist. I look forward to writing up that bill. I fixed up some gates, planters, and built some fences.

key phrases include:
1. this is going to hurt just a bit
2. I couldn't fix the log with a filler piece, i had to crown it
3. Do you have a dental/carpenter insurance plan to cover this expense
4. At your expense, I want to come back in 6 months and look at my work
5. You must brush your boards with preservative more carefully

I hope everybody has a good day and good luck rains down upon you today, John

970 Re: Hello Ireland on 2/9/2010, 2:03 am

jb49

Hi Lucy and Ems and everyone else.

I got lots of special hiding safe spots that I forgot about.

Echo Beach seemed to bring back lots of memories. Good

Hope everybody is feeling good today. Be strong, John

971 Re: Hello Ireland on 1/9/2010, 12:23 am

ems

Admin
Admin
Hello ann and all, Gosh lucy i understand 'where is that safe place i have a habit of putting things in safe places and eventually find them when i'm looking for something else.

weather is lovely here bbq yesterday and using leftovers today, i haven't heard echo beach in a long time jb was one of my hubby's favourites.

Take care guys
Em

972 marthas muffins on 31/8/2010, 11:00 pm

lucy

Hi JB
I danced to that tune many times john eco beach far away inside echo beach, far away inside echo beach, and so it goes on. It's a beautiful day here no great heat but still lovely. A few years ago a canadian girl and her irish husband moved into a house close to us but they have now gone back to canada she gave me her address and I put it in a safe place, but the question is now where is that safe place.Take care and enjoy your day.

973 Martha and the Muffins on 31/8/2010, 10:25 pm

jb49

Morning Ireland, hope the air is fresh and clean today and everyone had a good nites sleep. I supose I'm late saying that, must almost be lunchtime there.

A few days ago on the radio I heard a catchy tune that is old and I had heard many times before: Echo Beach. They went on to interview the singer and it is a Canadian Band that is starting to record and perform again after a lengthy break. The part that really caught my attention though is the fact that she has been dxed with Parkinsons. She was trying to keep it to herself but realized that she was becoming stiff on stage with loss of expression and she felt the need to explain why. She commented during the interview that her tremor is worse when nervous and her hand was shaking worse now (during interview) than usual. So many of the things that she said I could relate to. That is Martha and the Muffins, the song is Echo Beach and is easily Googled.

So I hope that everybody has a good day, remembers their medicine and enjoys life today. Be strong, John

974 Re: Hello Ireland on 30/8/2010, 11:04 pm

jb49

Hi Lucy and Ann, and everybody else. I am getting set to go off to work soon so I got to be quick. (Parky Paw with the frozen fingers, hear that? Try to be helpful and hit the right keystrokes) Lucy, I didn't know the name of the sheep wool spinner that you asked me about. What would a Canadian be able to tell you Irish people about sheeps wool that you don't already know.LOL And I did see the end of a roll of paper fluttering in the eastern sunrise this morning. Probably it was the job list. Ann, my mom used to put up jars (6 kids in my family) of every vegetable from the garden, fruit, and pickles. The basement was full of preserves. That is good that the chatroom is getting used. I would like to join in but with the time zone differences, I am not easily available when you are talking. I would of loved opportunity to talk to your Mother about her life growing up. Those first person, historical memories are interesting to me.

Heh, we got around 125 views this week, c'mon Shy Hesitant Ones, join in. I don't bite!! Tell me I'm nuts even, just tell me something!!

Have a good day Ireland, be good to yourself. Go for a walk if you can and phone up an old friend. Be strong, John

975 Days on 30/8/2010, 10:57 am

Ann

Admin
Admin
Hi John! Sounds like you had a lovely weekend - being able to savour the time is what makes relaxation so rejuvenating. People staring is what drives us parkies indoors. What solution would sort it all for us? Saying "I have Parkinson's, and this is the reason for the shakes" might do the trick. I sometimes did this when I was in a crowd of people and knew it would not be more than 20 or 30 people - so you only had to say it once or twice. Folding my arms worked but looked defensive; sitting on my hands worked to a degree and then nothing worked except leaving!

A post a day, now there's an idea! This forum has a lovely group of people who use the chat room.

Goodnight all!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum