PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello Ireland

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 37 of 40]

1 Hello Ireland on 23/8/2010, 10:26 pm

jb49

First topic message reminder :

Trying again. My first post went spinning off the tracks like a runaway train. Bad Karma? hope not, but maybe two first posts will show up.

I'm John from Ontario. I am going to try a daily greeting thread with this board and see how it goes. Very low key, but sincere, no groundbreaking PD news, just heartfelt encouragement.

My Wife and I drove to Ottawa on the weekend. (250 kms there) Strange city, driving, and restaraunts bring out tremors. We had a great time: visited, had dinners, walked, did museums with my son and wife who live there. Saturday nite we went to an "Irish Pub" and I had a yummy shepherds pie and a bottle of Killkenny. Your beer makes our beer taste like soda pop.

I hope everybody has a good and safe day. Be strong, John

901 Re: Hello Ireland on 7/10/2010, 10:07 pm

jb49

Hi Lucy, thanks for the language tidbits, I do appreciate it. I never found out, is it Gaelic?
I love you story about the Special Edition Animals. You are right, we only have run of the mill regular animals here. Your daughter must keep you busy! I'm glad you wrote me a line Lucy, have a nice day.

Well Ireland, what is to be accomplished today? Whatever it is, remember that we have Parkinsons, we have some limitations, but we can still give everything our best try. Be strong today, Sean

902 Re: Hello Ireland on 7/10/2010, 1:04 am

lucy

Hi Sean an bhfuil tu go maith ( an will two go mith)are you ok. I know Sean that Canada is just a teeney weeney bit bigger than ireland, but i bet you we have something you havent got. Wait for it. Special edition animals. My daughter came home from school yesterday telling me that all the animals on her friends farm are special editions I'm telling you mammy she said there are only so many of them made, 2 cows 2 hens 2 ducks and the list goes on. I wonder was there anyone telling tall tales.

903 Re: Hello Ireland on 6/10/2010, 10:46 pm

jb49

As he climbed up onto his little soap box he didn't know what to say. The brain was blank. If it was a bank account, it was on overdraft. If it was a pantry, the pantry was bare. Get my drift. He was sleepy from a long Tuesday at work and a short nites sleep. He was also pinched for time and had to get going if he was going to meet the commitments of Wednesday. Then he realized it was indeed hump day and by the end of the day it another work week over half gone and this was Thanksgiving weekend in Canada coming up. And he had lots to be thankful for. So he wished Ireland a good day full of strength and hope and went to work. Sean

904 Re: Hello Ireland on 5/10/2010, 10:02 pm

jb49

Hello Ireland, home to fine horses, fine whiskey, and fine people. What else should spring to mind, oh yes Linen? Is that right? What exactly is linen? Anyways, I hope I get a top ten list of what I should associate with Ireland.

Ugly Monday is gone, Nose to the grindstone Tuesday is about to begin. Today is the day to make it a good week. The stars were lined up in perfect order last nite and I think that today is going to be a stellar day for Parkies the world over. Grab onto it! Be strong, Sean

905 Re: Hello Ireland on 4/10/2010, 9:42 pm

jb49

Still predawn here at 6:40 am. You guys are all up and at it. Good days to you all, Sean

906 Re: Hello Ireland on 4/10/2010, 12:35 pm

jb49

Hi PB, thanks for the statue report. First post! Great! I'm glad that you joined in. You and Harris are from Limerick, is that the source of all those five lined poems. You must have better things to do then read my back posts, c'mon. Hope to hear from you again. See everybody, PB posts, Why not you? Sean

907 Hi jb on 4/10/2010, 8:28 am

porterboy

Richard Harris is from my town, limerick. There is a statue of him but i reckon that they had a extra statue of someone else that had to be used as it dosent look like him. there is another in Kilkee where he went on hols and that looks like Enda kenny a small time irish politician. i must put up photos. I wil read your old back pages Jb,

908 Re: Hello Ireland on 3/10/2010, 10:53 pm

jb49

Morning Ireland,

I keep typing to myself here and thinking that someone must be reading these musings because the views keep going on up BUT THEN, the thought hit me: What if really no one is reading this and Lucy and Em have a system of hitting this thread several times a day each to make me think that this is being read by Ireland. So what? I guess I must enjoy doing this little thing anyways. When I first started adding a bit to the YOPD site everything was medical stuff about Parkinsons. I was driving myself crazy with facts, symptoms, pills and new treatments. I think that people gather on these forums not only for facts, but also for friendship. Most friendships have something in common and with us, it is a kinship built upon having a nasty little problem called PD. I believe that like most problems, you have to face them it with good attitude. I don't always have it, but I don't mind telling others how to face things. (where is he going today? one side of my brain said to the other side) . Yes Baby, enough of that ramble. I hope that someone gains a little chuckle or hope or even "at least it didn't hit my brain like it did that John's". With that, the paragraph ended.

One of my favourite actors was your Richard Harris. My favourite movies were A man called Horse and the Wild Geese. They are very old movies now, I watched them in the 70s. I have read all of Loius l'Amour's western novels and being of Irish ancestry, he makes many references to Irish folklore. A lot of good things have come out of your country. You must be proud of what your nation has offered to the world.

I hope your minds are relaxed and content today today, be strong, chins up Sean.

909 Re: Hello Ireland on 2/10/2010, 10:40 pm

jb49

So wasn't that a beautiful evening! I built the bonfire extra big to act as a landing beacon, put the horses in the barn so that the trimmed pasture could act as a landing strip and the timing was great. The beer was iced down in coolers and I heard the plane. As expected, neighbours wondering what all the commotion was about soon arrived. As Diego and Grannie got off, Roxie did the customary sniff and greet and showed them where the cats were for chasing and which ones to leave alone. My DH playfully pouted that she still wants a German Shepherd dog. Introductions were made. No one trembled, everyone was steady on their feet, it was after all a mystical TGIF evening. Your shepherd's pie was wonderful, DH had made a couple more, heavy with kale, and we had scones with maple syrup and raspberry jam. DH surprised me when she brought out her good china for dining around the bonfire. It is an occasion of note she said. The kids rode the horses and played with kittens. Lucy's husband took the neighbours up for a little plane ride. Roxy took the dogs for a walk and the three of them chased a couple of a coyotes. Leave that thing alone, trust me she said when the dogs saw a porcupine waddling across the laneway. Supper fed to 40, beer flowed, marshmallows`roasted, kids played tag in the moonlight, it was unreal. Em, you are a great singer, and when you sang the Irish Lullabye, the night was winding down. Despite offers to stay overnite, reality was returning and Lucy's husband had to get the plane back before the Royal Air Force missed it. Goodbyes were made, promises to do do it again and you were off. I might of thought it were all a dream but this morning I found a china plate by the lawnchairs at the firepit.

Be strong and dream a bit today Ireland, Sean

910 Re: Hello Ireland on 2/10/2010, 4:52 am

lucy

Of course there will be room for Sean and Grainne we will squeeze Sean in beside us but it means one thing you will have to sit on one wing and Grainne will have to go on the other. I'm sure you will be ok I am not expecting much traffic on the way. PS I will hold on tight to the shepards pie. Take a book to read on the journey and the time will pass quickly oh and dont forget your umbrella. Laughing

911 Re: Hello Ireland on 2/10/2010, 1:08 am

ems

Admin
Admin
Hey guys, make room for Sean and my friend's German sheperd her name is grainne, i'm sure she'll get on well with Diego and Roxy one big happy family.. Very Happy

Good weekend to all..

912 Re: Hello Ireland on 2/10/2010, 12:51 am

lucy

Hi john thank you so much for the invite to your house, ems and i will be delighted to accept. I will bring my husband because he will have to drive the plane (which is parked out the back of our house)and I will read the map so as we dont get lost.The children want to come too, and we cant go without the dog. We will pick up ems when we are passing Kilkenny she will bring a shepards pie. We might also pick up anyone we see hitching a lift in mid air if thats ok with you, so John keep your eye on the sky and watch us fly into your back yard. PS Dont start supper without us

PS Did somebody tell me this was a PD site Laughing

913 Re: Hello Ireland on 1/10/2010, 10:24 pm

jb49

Hi Everybody, well you have endured the rambling for another week. I can't believe it is Friday again. TGIF! I wish there was a tavern near my house. The nearest bar is 8 km from my house. If I sat down there and had 2 pints, my blood alcohol level would be high enough that the police could impound my vehicle and suspend my license for 48 hours if pulled over. I need a bar to walk to. I like the sounds and atmosphere of a good pub with french fries and chicken wings. But nothing like that near me, So, I will come home, have supper and build a bonfire in the back yard, maybe a neighbour would pop over. Maybe you guys could charter a little flight over to my house for the evening. Should I bring home extra beer? Have a good, safe, and satisfying weekend friends. Be strong, Sean.

914 Re: Hello Ireland on 30/9/2010, 9:59 pm

jb49

I get frustrated sometimes by computers. They are basically easy to operate, so I just operate it without a good understanding, just push buttons and something will happen. But at the same time I know that there are so many things it can do but I have never figured out how to. Example, I could add a picture here that may break up a rather mundane post but I don't really know how. When I do figure out stuff and don't reuse that process, I soon forget how I did do it. Hell, I don't even understand half the buttons on my tv remote! I'm a fish out of water. I maybe would done better as a cave dweller drawing animal pictures on the wall for someone to find. When frustrated by the process, I would merely throw my scratching rock out the cave entrance instead of an expensive laptop computer. Probably I would spy Grog's picture enhanced with charcoal and dyes so that the his sabretooth tiger picture had colour. Hmmm,me frustrated, I pee on Grog's picture and throw Grog out cave entrance. "You Geek" ,I yell at him!!

Stop that story line. I hope that the Gods smile upon Ireland and its people, especially you guys and gals that struggle with pd. Be strong, don't be sicin. (hehe) Sean

915 Re: Hello Ireland on 29/9/2010, 10:06 pm

jb49

No Lucy, I love the lessons. I am afraid that I could never repeat the words but I like seeing it on paper. Is this what we call Gaelic, or is it Irish? Keep it coming please.

Mornings are dark here. Hard to get motivated but I must. In the morning I feed about 15 barn cats, my brothers 1 eyed horse named Stu, 10 chickens and our two quarter horses Max and Jake. I am very content with our simple lifestyle. It would be easier if I didn't have Snarly, my Parky gremlin, to drag around with me but he has made himself to home and appears set to stay on.

Hope everyone has hope in their heart and positive thoughts in their noggins today. Be strong, thanks Lucy, Sean.

916 Re: Hello Ireland on 28/9/2010, 11:53 pm

lucy

Hi Sean
How are you you just reminded me it's time for another irish lesson. Oh hell and damnation I hear you say. Here goes

Is maith liom praiti sicin agus cabaiste
I like poatoes chicken and cabbage
Have a good day and keep rambling

917 Re: Hello Ireland on 28/9/2010, 10:47 pm

jb49

Hi Ireland, you quiet ones allowing me to ramble on standing on my little soapbox. Here I go.

Em, curly kale goes into everything now: mashed potatoes, shepherd's pie, dressing that I stuffed into a chicken, boiled with onions and green beans. I have a bloody hedge of it growing, Green and beautiful, and so much. I feel stronger eating it every day, (not really, but I am not beyond playing mind games with myself.)

Hope that everyone on the Emerald Isle has a jewel of a day. I plan to!!

Chins up, be strong, do your best, say something kind to someone, SEAN

Last edited by jb49 on 28/9/2010, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed john to sean)

918 Re: Hello Ireland on 27/9/2010, 8:27 pm

jb49

Good day Ireland, Hope everyone is well rested from the weekend and are ready to take on the world.

I felt crappy yesterday. It actually started the night before. I missed a dose of requip Saturday afternoon but never noticed any change during that afternoon. I took bedtime drugs but I woke up Saturday night with tremors. It was 4 in the morning so I got up and took my Sunday morning meds. But all day I felt like I was out of control. I was dizzy, my Parky Paw wouldn't respond right, nauseated and felt like a bear with a bad tooth. Was all that caused by one missed dose of requip? It must be very strong stuff. When I take it, fifteen minutes later I feel it wash over. Anyways, I feel ok today--so far.

Have good days, Sean

919 Re: Hello Ireland on 27/9/2010, 3:15 am

jb49

Hi everybody, Lucy, Em, Clem and birthday boy Mike, Ann, everyone else.

It is Sunday. Hope everyne is having a nice restful day maybe curled up by a fire with a good book and a cuppa. Tomorrow, the aligators in the swamp of life will be snapping at our asses again.

Be strong everybody, Sean

920 Re: Hello Ireland on 26/9/2010, 12:30 am

ems

Admin
Admin
Hello to all,

A special hello to Mike..how does it feel been 21 again Mike..Happy Birthday and may you have many more cheers

Safe driving Jb..hi to Lucy, Ann, Clem and anyone else looking in.
Em

921 Re: Hello Ireland on 25/9/2010, 11:02 pm

jb49

Good morning Ireland,Happy Saturday. This is a driving weekend for me. I always was a cautious driver and PD certainly adds a twist to it. Yesterday we drove to Oshawa and back, about 300 kms round trip total, to see my neice from Toronto play in a girls hockey tournament. Today we are going to get apples, view the autumn leaves further north and stop at an alpaca farm where I did quite a bit of work this summer. Today we will likely drive 200 kms and tomorrow, I should go to Kingston to work on my daughter's basement some more. Another 200 kms round trip. With PD, I have to fight the pill drowsiness. Stiffness in the torso makes it difficult to check blind spots over my shoulder. One of the more troubling things is the tremor in my leg and bradykinesia makes it a little suspect for the brake pedal. My other foot is always at the ready for stopping. I shouldn't be complaining about difficulty driving but I did. North American driving habits must seem wasteful to you. With a small scattered about population, and limited public transit, I live in a long distance country that is built upon the fact that everyone drives a car for distances. Lots of people commute 100 kms to work each day one way. When you don't drive anymore, your lifestyle is certainly curtailed. Anyway, I hope that I can keep driving for a long time yet.

Have a good day Ireland. Be strong in mind and body, John

922 Re: Hello Ireland on 25/9/2010, 4:22 am

jb49

Thanks Em for the recipe, sounds good. My kale plants are forming almost like a shrubbery. Not enough hours today, gotta run (as if I can run!).
TGIF!!! Be strong Parkys of Ireland, John

923 Re: Hello Ireland on 23/9/2010, 10:10 pm

ems

Admin
Admin
Hello to all,

Hi jb, Here is the way i cook colcannon..

Cooked and mashed 1lb of potatoes. Remove the kale stems and chop the kale finely. Cook the chopped kale in salted water for about 10 minutes. Drain. Heat 1/3 cup of cream half-and-half and 1/3 cup of milk with scallions or onions and simmer for a few minutes. Beat the milk & cream mixture into the mashed potatoes, then beat in the drained kale. Seasoned with salt and pepper. Served with butter.

jb and everybody have a good day

Em

Ps..sorry jb forgot to add the cream must be a sign i'm getting old..

Last edited by ems on 24/9/2010, 8:22 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : word corrections)

924 Re: Hello Ireland on 23/9/2010, 9:34 pm

jb49

Hi Em, thanx for the reply. Do you boil the kale with the potatoes before mashing? And what about the cabbage, cause I have some nice red ones in the garden ready to go. It sounded like you are no stranger to boiling it with he spuds as well. I am more into good organically grown food since I got Parkinsons. I never dreamed that I would dream about anti oxidant food groups

Well I better get off my butt here Em and get to work. Hope that you and the rest of Ireland have a great day, be safe and strong, john.

925 Re: Hello Ireland on 23/9/2010, 5:47 am

ems

Admin
Admin
Hey jb and all,

We have a recipe here for kale (cabbage) or curly kale it's called colcannon very simple mashed potatoes with kale and scallions chopped mashed through and of course loads of butter, or bacon and cabbage one of my favourite dinners..glad sheperds pie turned out well. Children are great especially 3yr olds they can come out with anything.
Take care everybody
Em

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 37 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum