PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hello Ireland

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 40]

1 Hello Ireland on 23/8/2010, 10:26 pm

jb49

First topic message reminder :

Trying again. My first post went spinning off the tracks like a runaway train. Bad Karma? hope not, but maybe two first posts will show up.

I'm John from Ontario. I am going to try a daily greeting thread with this board and see how it goes. Very low key, but sincere, no groundbreaking PD news, just heartfelt encouragement.

My Wife and I drove to Ottawa on the weekend. (250 kms there) Strange city, driving, and restaraunts bring out tremors. We had a great time: visited, had dinners, walked, did museums with my son and wife who live there. Saturday nite we went to an "Irish Pub" and I had a yummy shepherds pie and a bottle of Killkenny. Your beer makes our beer taste like soda pop.

I hope everybody has a good and safe day. Be strong, John

26 Re: Hello Ireland on 22/8/2012, 11:13 am

ClemMcGann

had a visit from the uninvited (Mr P)
and cancelled the shoot with spin europe
i don't like doing that, but i just wasn't up to it
this is from their last visit you-tube
i don't know when the tv3 morning show will be broadcast, i didn't feel that happy with it, it was aisling o'loughlin asking me questions, if anyone sees it - please tell me.
and i am not in the tg4 piece - just peadar lamb and his art.
- --
jb - don't wait for that ship - you have posted here so much - you have to come - and hopefully bring better weather

http://www.mariner.ie

27 Re: Hello Ireland on 22/8/2012, 10:17 am

jb49

Hi Ems, Clem and everybody else

I would love to see the maritime museum Clem, is a bit far but maybe one day when my ship comes in.

With the funny hot spell in April followed by nights of hard freezing, we have not hardly an apple this year. It also deformed the strawberries, The hot dry summer I think has caused my raspberries to be stunted too, I should be picking the everbearing ones soon and they continue until a hard frost in December maybe, Glad I don't count on the garden for income.

Good to hear from you Clem. When I dig my potatoes I will send pictures, the spuds will be big enough that I will have to do it in 2 pictures to fit on the screen.

Have good days and smile for the tv crews Clem.

jb

28 Re: Hello Ireland on 21/8/2012, 11:50 pm

ems

Admin
Admin
Hello there, Clem,Jb and everybody..hope you have a nice breakaway Lucy. We still hope to visit maritime Clem can't say when something always comes up but one of these days.

The sun is shining here now long may it last..Take care guys x

29 Re: Hello Ireland on 21/8/2012, 6:49 pm

ClemMcGann

the weather is improving - finally. i had a rather dismal fruit crop this year. although the blackberries, who arrive last, look promising. now the raspberries which were rather disappointing might be about to make amends, they seem to intend to produce a second crop, which would be a surprise, although it is probably too late.
. . .
meanwhile down at the maritime museum, there was a near disaster. a library is being built beside us. with all the rain there was a landslide. now they are propping the sides of their excavation up with massive wooden beams. unfortunately they destroyed the path from the sea front to our museum, they are making another.
. . .
we had two tv crews yesterday. tg4 did an item on stained glass windows. tv3 'the morning show' were interested in irish ships in ww2. spin europe will be there today.
. . .
incidentally if anyone wants to visit, do let me know - its rather a distance for jb - but anyone else?

http://www.mariner.ie

30 Re: Hello Ireland on 21/8/2012, 12:00 pm

jb49

Good evening Ireland,

Well, Autumn is approaching fast. I notice the daylight first. Or lack thereof. I like the evening to last until 9 and I get my stuff all done and sit on the bench with my buddy Roy and have a pint watching the sun go down. Now it is setting by 830 and the evening is too chopped off after supper. Anyways, seasons change, days get shorter and every year I seem surprised.

The neighbours 3 ponies got into our field last night sometime. I have my brothers old Horse named Stew in a field by himself because he is blind and nervous of other horses. The ponies were fine and Stew was ignoring them, or didn't know that they were even there. I have told my neighbour before to let them into the field to graze with Stewy but they tend to swarm him a bit so we hadn't done that for awhile. Anyways Ted came over and we got them back in. I don't trust the little bugger ponies. they turn and threaten to kick too much. I prefer the bigger horses.

So anything going on in Ireland?

Take care y'all.

jb

31 Re: Hello Ireland on 13/8/2012, 11:20 pm

lucy

[quote="jb49"]

Its a beautiful morning here. Gone is the terrible humid heat of last month that made pulling a T shirt over my sweaty back a near impossible task. Last nite it rained and I had to shut windows against the wind driven water as it washed the west facing sills. So today, my patchy crabgrass lawn looks greener, the goldenrod in the horse pasture more yellow, the air is fresher, and the garden seeds I replanted just yesterday are ready to take off like a bunch of Jamaicans lined up for the start of a 100 metre dash. Yes, I did replant garden. Because it was so hot this year everything Bolted, yes like Usain. Instead of slowly growing in a race with Jack Frost, my watermelons grew real fast and the vines withered with ripened fruit delivered early. Beans became beans overnite and peas quickly matured and it was hot enough that the corn popped right in my garden. I cleaned all that stuff up, fed watermelon to myself until my skin became green and I was peeing like an Italian water fountain. Yesterday, I mucked out an old chicken coop and put all that nitrogen onto the garden where crops were done. I roto tilled it in and thought, I should plant more and so I did, More potatoes (look out Idaho), more Swiss Chard (theSwiss are trying to dismiss their concerns that it will be called Canadian Chard) , green beans, onions (Anyone know how to make Onion rings), radish and more leaf lettuce, Kohl Rabi and Parsnips which can stay in the ground under a bit of straw until December. Ah the kids will be excited by fresh parsnips for Christmas. Not! Lots of other stuff still grows in the garden from earlier this year. Tomatoes are in season now, carrots, Kale (it has gotta be good for you) beets to scare you next day, Squashes, and Brussel Sprouts. They don't form until November it seems. Little Baby Cabbages.cute they are, and tasty. And in three weeks,Ever bearing raspberries will be ripening and there will be some ready every day until freezeup, I like my garden, It is good excercise. I used to drop the the fine seeds into the prepared furrow between my thumb and finger of my right hand. Now that is impossible and I use my left. I weed with my right when I have time. It is hard to pound in a garden stake with my right parky paw swinging the axe (ooh, watch out, close call, anyone see that) to tie up a tomato vine, but it gets done. I have to force my right hand to work and often ol Lefty just jumps in and does it with smugness to which Righty replies by slowly flipping him the Bird and says :just you wait lefty. your turn is coming. Gardens are good therapy, produce good food, good time for thinking. exercise. keeps me out of the way, neighbours enjoy extras. keeps the freezer full of food, makes me feel useful, it is in my blood, gives me something to talk about and that is all I got to say about gardens this morning

I hope everyone there is doing fine!

from jb[/quote God JB makes me tired even reading about all the jobs you done in the garden would have no problome eating the end result though]

32 Re: Hello Ireland on 13/8/2012, 5:18 am

katie

Hi to all,

JB you have certainly been busy in the garden, but no mention of spinach. You know Marie would love some Canadian spinach to try in her muffins and believe me they would be worth a visit to Ireland to sample, and if you do visit I might even knit you a hat (nobody escapes from my knitting)

The forum is really quiet for a long time now,is there nobody out there at all?

Katie

33 Re: Hello Ireland on 13/8/2012, 1:20 am

jb49

Good Morning All

Its a beautiful morning here. Gone is the terrible humid heat of last month that made pulling a T shirt over my sweaty back a near impossible task. Last nite it rained and I had to shut windows against the wind driven water as it washed the west facing sills. So today, my patchy crabgrass lawn looks greener, the goldenrod in the horse pasture more yellow, the air is fresher, and the garden seeds I replanted just yesterday are ready to take off like a bunch of Jamaicans lined up for the start of a 100 metre dash. Yes, I did replant garden. Because it was so hot this year everything Bolted, yes like Usain. Instead of slowly growing in a race with Jack Frost, my watermelons grew real fast and the vines withered with ripened fruit delivered early. Beans became beans overnite and peas quickly matured and it was hot enough that the corn popped right in my garden. I cleaned all that stuff up, fed watermelon to myself until my skin became green and I was peeing like an Italian water fountain. Yesterday, I mucked out an old chicken coop and put all that nitrogen onto the garden where crops were done. I roto tilled it in and thought, I should plant more and so I did, More potatoes (look out Idaho), more Swiss Chard (theSwiss are trying to dismiss their concerns that it will be called Canadian Chard) , green beans, onions (Anyone know how to make Onion rings), radish and more leaf lettuce, Kohl Rabi and Parsnips which can stay in the ground under a bit of straw until December. Ah the kids will be excited by fresh parsnips for Christmas. Not! Lots of other stuff still grows in the garden from earlier this year. Tomatoes are in season now, carrots, Kale (it has gotta be good for you) beets to scare you next day, Squashes, and Brussel Sprouts. They don't form until November it seems. Little Baby Cabbages.cute they are, and tasty. And in three weeks,Ever bearing raspberries will be ripening and there will be some ready every day until freezeup, I like my garden, It is good excercise. I used to drop the the fine seeds into the prepared furrow between my thumb and finger of my right hand. Now that is impossible and I use my left. I weed with my right when I have time. It is hard to pound in a garden stake with my right parky paw swinging the axe (ooh, watch out, close call, anyone see that) to tie up a tomato vine, but it gets done. I have to force my right hand to work and often ol Lefty just jumps in and does it with smugness to which Righty replies by slowly flipping him the Bird and says :just you wait lefty. your turn is coming. Gardens are good therapy, produce good food, good time for thinking. exercise. keeps me out of the way, neighbours enjoy extras. keeps the freezer full of food, makes me feel useful, it is in my blood, gives me something to talk about and that is all I got to say about gardens this morning

I hope everyone there is doing fine!

from jb

34 Re: Hello Ireland on 11/8/2012, 1:18 am

jb49

Feta and spinach muffins? you will have to do better than that to entice me there. What about Bannana, or chocolate chip? Cranberry or carrot ones with cream cheese icing

the cake sounds good though.

It has been a hot summer, it rushed the garden through quickly and we had some rain last night and..

I have cleaned up a lot of the garden of stuff like peas, onions are done growing and I am thinking of growing some root crops that can stay in the ground till solid freezeup.

yes i will. I did get a nice bunch of watermelons. Tomatoes are just coming on strong

Best wishes to all you fine people, I've enjoyed the olympics too. Girls soccer (football) was good, I saw the Irish joy when your girl won.

take care jb

35 Hello Ireland on 10/8/2012, 7:25 pm

MarieB

Morning all,

just popping in to say CONGRATULATIONS to Katie Taylor. What a golden girl!

Ive been glued to the tv for the last couple of weeks with you know what! Despite all the negative media run up to the Olympics, its gone brilliantly on all fronts and you cant fail to be inspired by the amazing feats of the athletes. Katie has done Ireland proud and the reception in Bray said it all when the gold medal winner was announced! There should be some partying this wekend.....

Did put aside one day recently to entertain Katie and Ems and the look on their faces as they gobbled up the spinach and feta muffins followed by double portions of my chocolate cake was a picture I should have recorded for posterity!! It was lovely to see them both and we intend to meet up regularly in future so Ems its your turn next......better get baking Very Happy (only joking) . Jb you are more than welcome but Ive already told you that. Thanks for the beautiful photographs you posted recently from your camping trip.

Must mention that Ems was looking very glamorous and very well . Keep taking the tablets Ems.Last time we met you were feeling very poorly so glad that youve managed to turn things round. Havent forgotten you Katie....you as always remain quietly confident in managing our mutually uninvited guest and with your lovely friendly smile, its good to have your friendship. Thanks a million for the pretty hat you knitted for me. Its inspired me to get knitting. Been and bought wool and kneedles and will get going one of these days when the Olympics have ended! Believe it or not your roses are still blooming and your Roses, Ems have all been eaten by yours truly xx

Hope everyone is coping with life as best they can. Either way, it would be good to hear from you, whinges and all Crying or Very sad

36 Re: Hello Ireland on 9/8/2012, 4:41 am

ems

Admin
Admin
Hi there..Jb and Lucy..you are right lucy make the best of this weather our summer hasn't been great, anyway on a different note

Jb if ye ever make it to Ireland you've got to visit Marie she is some cook, yummy... Very Happy

37 Re: Hello Ireland on 9/8/2012, 1:17 am

lucy

JB We will send you all the rain you want if you send us some sun. Well in saying that the last few days have been quite good. Hope everyone is having a good week and enjoying these few days of sun.

38 Re: Hello Ireland on 5/8/2012, 1:14 pm

jb49

wowsers, it has been hot.

31 C by 10 oclock this morning in the shade. And very dry. We need some rain. Although i haven't had to cut the grass for about 3 weeks now.

I still got PD, I was hoping that maybe this summer I would sweat it out of my life, but he is persistent

I trust that y'all are fine.

Here is another picture from the camping trip

39 Re: Hello Ireland on 3/8/2012, 2:08 am

jb49

hi everybody

my wife was busy studying for an exam so i went camping for 5 days with my daughter's family. My son came with me in my camper in the back of my truck. Algonquin Park was a 3hour drive from home but worth the effort. Kates 2 little boys liked feeding the chipmunks, heer older boy Nick and my nephew spent more time fishing. I liked the hiking trails and the cool green forests. The beach area was nice too.

40 Re: Hello Ireland on 30/7/2012, 5:12 am

ems

Admin
Admin
Rain rain go away ..hi to everybody and welcome to Rumu. Smile

41 Re: Hello Ireland on 29/7/2012, 1:18 am

lucy

Another fine summers day here poring the rain and blowing a hurrican if anyone sees the sun point him in this direction.

42 Re: Hello Ireland on 26/7/2012, 9:26 pm

MarieB

Shhhhhhhhhh..........think the sun is shining

43 Re: Hello Ireland on 26/7/2012, 3:24 am

MarieB

Rubber dinghy or water wings might be your best bet Cathy Very Happy

And don't forget the goggles........

A belated happy birthday too!

44 weather on 25/7/2012, 11:07 pm

cathy

well I couldnt build an ark because it too bad to go outside.I do not have a shed yet my hubby says I have no patience.it willl get built its only thirty eight years since we moved in so folks is that patience or what

Cathy Rolling Eyes

45 Re: Hello Ireland on 25/7/2012, 7:23 am

MarieB

Hi all...........in view of the weather, I've been busy building an ark Very Happy

Well that's my excuse........any better ones out there?

From an uncharacteristically quiet Marie who thought you all needed a well deserved break from her ramblings!

46 Re: Hello Ireland on 25/7/2012, 6:44 am

ems

Admin
Admin
Indeed Lucy and jb ..it is quiet here; as for the weather lets just hope it improves.. Smile

47 Re: Hello Ireland on 24/7/2012, 11:12 pm

lucy

Hi everybody from a not so sunny Donegal. My goodness it's been quiet here. Has everybody gone on holidays? Still waiting on summer but it might surprise us and come yet. We live in hope.

48 Re: Hello Ireland on 19/7/2012, 2:30 pm

jb49

Yikes, everybody on holidays?

Ems we have more than enough sunshine. It has been hot. The squirrels are cooling their nuts in the creek every day now. We are melting. Ahhhh,,,

Hope everyone is fine, sorry I have been absent but still love you all

jb

49 Re: Hello Ireland on 18/7/2012, 9:44 pm

ems

Admin
Admin
Good morning to all, hope ye have sunshine wherever ye are..take care, ems x

50 Re: Hello Ireland on 7/7/2012, 5:00 am

lucy

Sadly JB there are no maids in this house Its get your own or starve.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum