PAIForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanted! Stories or Poems

+5
lucy
jb49
rustytinman
cathy
ems
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

1Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Wanted! Stories or Poems 31/3/2010, 4:01 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

First topic message reminder :

Last night in Chatbox I asked Lucy and Jer how would they feel about getting a Book together on or about pd... let be a funny, serious, sad story or poem whatever comes into your head..we think it is a good idea and if any of you guys would like to tell your story please let us know..

76Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 9/8/2011, 5:36 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

I totally agree Jb and Lucy,

Respect for the elderly absolutely, yes we will be there one day..

77Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 9/8/2011, 12:16 am

lucy

lucy

Here Here JB I agree we have to respect the elderly because we will all be there ourselves some day. Myself and my husband looked after my father in law who was 90 and confined to bed for two years before he died. Our children were only 6 mts and 4 years old at the time and my husband was still trying to hold down his job. It was hard work and there were times when I just sat down and cried. But We just couldnt put him into a nursing home. It must be one of the hardest decisions a son or daughter has to make.

Are you listening to JB Marie get your thinking cap on or better still hide the golf clubs and let hubby put it on.

78Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Thanks 8/8/2011, 11:00 pm

jb49

jb49

It is such a treat to come to this site and find new thought provoking postings. Good Writing Katie, is your last name Keats. Such Parky Malarky Marie, I'm expecting you and your hubby to come up with a major work of poetry this week for our reading pleasure. Lucy, such a find that poem is. I can see that. I often see an older person and I imagine the memories that person has in their mind. How they were in a 1 room school, milked cows by hand, fell in love, made love for the first time ever on their wedding night, went to war, discovered Telegraphs, telephones, got electricity into the house, Had Babies, got a car, TV, visited Ireland , got a coloured TV, started declining years, has trouble walking, something doesn't feel right inside........... I look at an old man struggling to cross the street and think of how once he would of scrambled across, quick as squirrel.

I once had coffee at a neighbours with an older couple that she had befriended. Sitting with Bud, I probed him with a few questions and he told me that:

He grew up in Halifax,& during WW1, a munition ship (Canadian moment in history) blew up in the harbour and levelled a huge section of the city including his house. He lived in a relatives garage for a year. Joined the Halifax police force and then the RCMP. POsted to an area of Alberta, he did his duty by horseback in the summer and dogsled in the winter. One day the dogs wouldn't cross the frozen river. He encouraged and shouted and made them cross but out onto the ice he realized why they were hesitant as the sled broke through the melting ice. He awoke on the other side wet and in the tent of Indians who were treating his frost bitten feet which he suffered with to the end of his days.

He talked a lot, I soaked it all up. I realized that when this man dies, he will take a treasure trove of stories to his grave, but to most people, he was just an old nondescript, dottering man, holding up a lineup or whatever. Every senior you meet, has a life story that is worth listening to.

Bottom line, like Lucy's poem, that old person with all the frailness of age, are real people full of memories and experiences. And we all will be there one day. Respect them!

79Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty PD Today 8/8/2011, 8:45 am

MarieB

Your poetry certainly makes me smile about this parky milarky!
Another winner Katie. Thanks

Marie

80Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty PD 8/8/2011, 8:13 am

katie

This PD lark is no fun, why me, why you, why anyone?
I though that it might go away, if I ignored it, but its here to stay.
My walk is wobbly, my mind's a blank, was I really meant to go to the bank?
With limbs that ache, and sleepless nights, I've not been out dancing,(what a sight)!
Hey wait now, must stop feeling sorry,I have no need to fret or worry.
We can't be happy all the while. I'll write a rhyme, make someone smile!
This PD lark may be no fun. But WHY NOT me, or you or anyone!

Katie

81Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Poem by old woman 8/8/2011, 2:53 am

MarieB

Thanks Lucy.

Such a stark poem, so sad but so true. Its one of the most moving I've read and one I think every woman will identify with if they live to be old.

Marie

82Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 8/8/2011, 2:07 am

lucy

lucy

This poem was found in the locker of an old woman who had just passed away in hospital

Who do you see?

Who do you see nurses? who do you see?
What are you thinking when looking at me?
A crabbit old woman not very wise
Uncertain of habit and far away eyes.
Who dribbels her food and who makes no reply
When you say in a loud voice "Oh i do wisy you'd try"
I'll tell you who I am as I sit here so still
As I rise to your bidding as I eat at your will
I'm a small child of ten with a father and mother
Brothers and sisters who love one another
A bride soon at twenty, my heart gives a leap
Remembering the vows I had promised to keep
At twenty five now I have young of my own
Who needs me to build a secure happy home
At fifty once more babies play round my knee
Again we know children my loved one and me

Dark days are upon me my husband is dead
I look to the future I shudder with dread
For my young are all busy rearing young of their own
I thing of the years and the love I had known
I'm an old woman know and nature is cruel
Tis her jest to make old age look like a fool
The body it crumbles grace and vigour depart
There now lies a stone where I once had a heart
But inside this carcasse a young girl still dwells
And now and again my battered heart swells
I remember the joy I remember the pain
And I'm loving and living life over again
I think of the years all too few gone too fast
And accept the stark fate that nothing will last
So open your eyes nurses open and see
Not a crabbit old woman look closer see ME

83Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Clever Girls 8/8/2011, 1:53 am

jb49

jb49

Patsy, you are so good with that stuff.

Katie and Lucy, I wanted to say again that your verses are very good.

84Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Wanted stories /poems 7/8/2011, 7:57 pm

MarieB

You are really clever with your illustrations Patsy and thanks for including me with "the poets" but we both know I'm not. Like you, I can't make anything rhyme! Really applaud their contributions though.

Marie

85Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 7/8/2011, 12:48 pm

Patsy

Patsy

Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 E47b005d Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 87500707616ae60ab587606c50b7c36b
Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 D6c70987

I could not get two lines to rhyme, even if I tried.

Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 049
Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 5cab5f0c

86Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 5/8/2011, 10:44 pm

jb49

jb49

Very good Katy, Lucy..very good, are you going to put that one on T shirts or bookmarks?

87Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Hope 5/8/2011, 6:37 am

katie

Hope needs no staff to lean upon,
No helping hand, no guiding star,
Over horizons lost to view, outstripping dreams,
Hope travels far.

88Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty wanted stories or poems 5/8/2011, 6:09 am

MarieB

Like that one Lucy. Never been keen on dusting and even less so at this stage in my life. Dust to dust is a very sobering thought.

Marie

89Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 4/8/2011, 11:45 pm

lucy

lucy

Dust if you must[center]

Dust if you must
But wouldn't it be better
To paint a picture
Or write a letter
Bake cookies
Plant a seed
Ponder the difference
Between want and need

Dust if you must
But there's not much time
With oceans to swim
And mountains to climb
Music to hear
Books to read
Freinds to cherish
Life's to lead

Dust if you must
But the worlds out there
With the sun in your eyes
And the wind in your hair
A flutter of snow
A shower of rain
This day wont come round again

Dust if you must
But bear in mind
Old age will come
And it's not kind
And when you go
And go you must
You yourself will make more dust

90Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty T shirt message 4/8/2011, 11:03 pm

jb49

jb49

Good writing Patsy and Katie.

If I could put those writings onto my t shirts, it would save a lot of explaining.

Have good days everyone, jb

91Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 4/8/2011, 6:50 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

Thanks for sharing Patsy, brilliant piece of writing!

Ems

92Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 4/8/2011, 6:33 am

MarieB

Nice find Patsy. I think it has been written by a woman because its so full of emotion. No offence jb-you strike me as being a very emotional person, well able to express feeling and that's good in a man but its not typical of the male species.

Very moving piece of writing and again one we can all identify with.
Thanks Patsy.

Marie

93Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 4/8/2011, 6:19 am

katie

Patsy,

That is just brilliant, trouble is you definitely need a big box of tissues nearby!

Katie

94Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Letter to my friends and family 4/8/2011, 3:54 am

Patsy

Patsy

LETTER TO MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY

(Author unknown)

I have Parkinson's disease. It is not contagious or hereditary, no one knows what causes it, but some of the dopamine cells in the brain begin to die at an accelerated rate.
Everyone slowly loses some dopamine cells as they grow older. If the cells suddenly begin to die at a faster rate, Parkinson's disease develops. It is a slowly progressive disease usually occuring as people get older. Medicine can help. I'll take newer, stronger kinds over the years. Some make me sick and take lots of adjustments. Stick with me, I have good days and bad days.

EMOTIONS: Sometimes I cry and appear to be upset and you think you have done something to hurt my feelings. Probably not. It is the Parkinson's, Keep talking to me. Ignore the tears. I'll be ok in a few minutes.

TREMORS: You are expecting me to shake. Maybe I do, maybe I don't. Medicine today takes care of the tremors. If my hands, feet, or head are shaky, ignore it. I'll sit on my hands, or put them in my pockets. Treat me as you always have. What's a little shakiness between friends.

MY FACE: You think you don't entertain me any more because I am not grinning or laughing. If I appear to stare at you, or have a wooden expression, thats the Parkinson's.
I hear you, I have the same intelligence, It just isn't easy to show facial expression. If swallowing, I may drool. This bothers me, so I will mop it up.

STIFFNESS: We are ready to go somewhere and I get up. I can hardly move. Maybe my medicine is wearinf off. The stiffness or rigidity is part of Parkinson's.
Let me take my time, keep talking.

EXERCISE: I need to walk each day. Two to three miles is good. Walk with me. Company makes walking fun. It may be a slow walk, but I'll get there.
Remind me if I slump or stoop,I don't always know I am doing this. My stretching, bending exercises must be done every day. Help me with them if you can.

MY VOICE: As my deeper tones disappear, you'll notice my voice is getting higher and wispy. That's the Parkinson's, I know you can talk louder, faster and finish my sentences for me. I don't care for that. Let me talk, get my thought together
and speak for myself. I'm still there, My minds okay. Since I'm slower in movement, My thoughts are slower too. I want to be part of the conversation.
Let me speak.

SLEEPLESSNESS: I may complain that I can't sleep, If I wander around in the middle of the night, that's Parkinson's. It has nothing to do with what I ate or how early I went to bed. I may nap during the day. Let me sleep when I can. I can't always control when I'm tired or feel like sleeping. Be patient, my friends,
I NEED YOU.
I AM THE SAME PERSON,
I'VE JUST SLOWED DOWN,

It's not easy to talk about Parkinson's but I'll try if you really want to know.
I need my friends and family,
I want to continue to be part of life.
PLEASE REMAIN BY MY SIDE.

95Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 4/8/2011, 12:22 am

lucy

lucy

Brilliant poem Katie Well done

96Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Wanted poems stories 3/8/2011, 8:01 am

MarieB

Well put Katie. Your description of how PD impact on our lives rings so true.

Marie

97Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Parkinsons 2/8/2011, 8:06 am

katie

It came unbidden to my happy life.
Here to stay, to bring me pain and strife.
It hampers all my movements, deeds and thoughts
Makes me sometimes slow, unsteady and distraught.
I wish this pest would leave, just go..
I want to be alone.
But no, its steadfast and content,
to blight my life thats its intent.
It wants a fight and I'll not give in.
Much is lost, but I am blessed with love of family & friends
Life is sweet, no matter what, and I'll be contented with my lot.
I may bow and bend, but I will be....Mistress of my destiny!

Katie

98Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 16/8/2010, 2:57 pm

jb49

jb49

ems wrote:
I used to be good at writing poetry..years ago i should say
However as i sit here i cannot think of a word to say..
So i'll say whatever comes into my head click on send and don't read back
then maybe someone out there will take pity and post back.

Ems: What is required to be a good Poet,
What must one write, what do they have to do?
Do they type what is in their heart, and
About their life. That sorta could be you.

Do they write their thoughts on paper; or
Sing an old song and fill a room with smiles.
Or put it on the internet for everyone to
Share (Sounds Like Em) over all the miles.

Do they have to follow the schoolteachers' rules
Of cadence and Rhyme?
Not all the time!
Nobody is about to stop you
Nobody is about to chop you.
You got the talent, got the words, got the tools.
Fist in the air
Rules: Don't care!
Wow, maybe that could be you.

Does a poet make the reader feel their soul,
Sense the warmth and kindness. Even know the pain?
Then tell them it will be OK and wash away,
The way you do, All fears, like a warm summer's rain.

Your thoughts are caring and I am sure
You are a Poet. And like a good Limerick,
You make me smile, and make me Think
Of your words that get in my head and stick.

99Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty our day at the zoo 4/8/2010, 7:33 am

lucy

lucy

Our day at the zoo

It was a lovely sunny day
I had nothing much to do
Hey I shouted to the kids
Will we go to the zoo
Both of them began to scream
As they danced around the floor
It wasnt hard to figure out
They had never been before

So we made some preparations
And jumped into the car
They must have asked a thousand times
Mammy is it far
We continued on our journey
Another mile or two
Finally I saw a sign
Saying this way to the zoo

When we finally made it
We set out to find our way
We wanted to see everything
By the end of this lovely day
There were lions tigers elephants
Bears and gorillas too
And over in the corner
Sat a big fat kangaroo

There were lots of other animals
Of every shape and size
Some we'd never heard off
Right before our eyes
There were lots of cheeky monkeys
But one was even bolder
It even had it's picture taken
Sitting on our shoulder

All to soon it was time to go
So we all jumped in the car
Then the questions started
Mammy is it far.

100Wanted! Stories or Poems - Page 4 Empty Re: Wanted! Stories or Poems 2/8/2010, 2:21 am

ems

ems
Admin
Admin

I used to be good at writing poetry..years ago i should say
However as i sit here i cannot think of a word to say..
So i'll say whatever comes into my head click on send and don't read back
then maybe someone out there will take pity and post back.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next