PAI is the Irish national organisation supporting all those with Parkinson's, and their families, carers, health professionals...

You are not connected. Please login or register

car tax exemption

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Re: car tax exemption on 17/8/2012, 7:02 am

ClemMcGann

lucy wrote:Hi Patsy. Definately apply again Patsy. I know reading the booklet you would need to be almost dead to get one. but that is not the case atal. I think it all deprnds on the SMO SENIOR MEDICAL OFFICER and how fit she sees you at the time. So give it another go its worth a try.
Do we know of anyone with PD who suceeded?

http://www.mariner.ie

2 Re: car tax exemption on 16/8/2012, 11:28 pm

lucy

Hi Patsy. Definately apply again Patsy. I know reading the booklet you would need to be almost dead to get one. but that is not the case atal. I think it all deprnds on the SMO SENIOR MEDICAL OFFICER and how fit she sees you at the time. So give it another go its worth a try.

3 Re: car tax exemption on 16/8/2012, 10:28 am

Patsy

Hi Lucy, Clem I did apply for a Primary Medical Cert, (6yrs ago)without success, which you gotta have to avail of the tax relief for DD.

To get it is impossible, you would have to be legless, or armless, or maybe both.

Has anyone succeeded in getting one? Please let us know.

Hope you all are on a good day.

Patsy !!!!

4 Re: car tax exemption on 14/8/2012, 7:57 am

ClemMcGann

lucy wrote:Yes Clem but as far as I know you must be the holder of a document called a Primary Medical Certificate.

yes, too good to be true
after reading
Tax relief for disabled drivers I am of the opinion that no one with PD would qualify. To avail of the free driving you would have to be too disabled to drive!
Tax relief for disabled drivers wrote:
  • Are completely or almost completely without the use of both legs or
  • Are completely without the use of one of your legs and almost completely without the use of the other leg to the extent that you are severely restricted as regards movement in your legs or
  • Are without both hands or both arms or
  • Are without one or both legs or
  • Are completely or almost completely without the use of both hands or arms and completely or almost completely without the use of one leg or
  • Have the medical condition of dwarfism and serious difficulties of movement of the legs

A real "catch 22"

but what of the Sunday Independent?
Reading the article, complete with the PAI signature at the end, it clearly gives the impression that those with PD do get this tax relief on small cars and now want it on big cars!!!!. it reads:
Sunday Independent wrote:... to raise funds for the Parkinson's Association. His next project is to row the canals from Dublin to Limerick to raise more money and to generate awareness for the 600,000 people in Ireland suffering from general "neurological issues". He illustrates the point by explaining that though he has a Pajero jeep, he can't drive it because of the high tax. "If it was less than two litres it would be tax exempt, if you are disabled", he explains, but because his vehicle has a larger engine, it doesn't qualify"

Just what impression does that give?

5 Re: car tax exemption on 13/8/2012, 11:05 pm

lucy

Yes Clem but as far as I know you must be the holder of a document called a Primary Medical Certificate.

6 car tax exemption on 12/8/2012, 11:58 pm

ClemMcGann

there is a nice article in the "life" section of the sunday independent, 12 August, called "living life in the now" by David Walsh. A side question: He says that if you have PD you are exempt from motor tax on vehicles less then 2 litres. Has anyone availed of this? -

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum